Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mixing Weaners  (Read 3120 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Mixing Weaners
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:02:57 pm »

I had 4 osb boar weaners booked from a local breeder but unfortunately now she only has 3 so has offered me 2 saddlebacks from a friend nearby. These are also boars and all 5 will be 8 weeks old when I collect them on Saturday, can I take a chance and put them all together or should I seperate them.
I only have 1 pig ark so obviously it would be easier if they could all run together otherwise I will make something up out of pallets and straw bales.
I know that I tried to mix older gilts once and that was a big no no, fortunately no one got hurt as the intruders just ran through the electric fence.
Anne

robert waddell

Re: Mixing Weaners
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:08:05 pm »
they can be mixed but have a big area for them to run away from each other they will settle eventually feed in a long line that way they are not fighting to much then       there should not be to much difference size wise :farmer:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:10:02 pm »

Thanks Robert they will have a big area  so hopefully all will be okay.
Anne

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:07 am »
Something I do which seems to help speed the process up a bit is to spray them all with spmething strong smelling (a drop of TCP on the back of their necks or a squirt of body spray does at a push  ;)) this way they all smell the same which (in theory) helps them to accept each other more easily. Got to add though, I've never done it with boars, only gilts and sows - but it's worth a shot anyway and won't do any harm  ;)
Karen  :wave:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 09:21:36 am »
One strange thing I've noticed every time I've put pigs together who haven't seen each other for a while is that on Night 1, the dominant pig/pigs sleep in the ark and won't allow the underdogs (pigs) to come in.   By Night 2 all differences are forgotten, and everyone sleeps in the ark together without any further problem.   So just hope that on Night 1 it is not pouring with rain/snow!   Tamsaddle

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:40:04 pm »

Happy to say that there were no problems, they took a little while to even notice each other as they have so much room. All 5 slept in the ark the first night, osbs in one corner and saddlebacks in another, this morning it was just a pile of pigs all lying together, doing as suggested and putting feed in a long line so no fighting there either.
Will post some pictures when this fog clears enough to get some decent ones.
Oh and Robert got my feed from East Coast Viners, very impressed by the service.
Anne

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:18:47 pm »
 :thumbsup: :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS