Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig sticking tongues out  (Read 14702 times)

Amysidwells

• Joined Aug 2011
Pig sticking tongues out
« on: April 29, 2012, 02:38:57 pm »
Ive just brought an in pig guilt she is due To give birth in around 7 days. The last few days she has started sticking her tongue out constantly. Also now has diarrhea. Does anyone know as to why she would be doing it. Ive never come across it before and my other pigs have never done it.
Not sure if someone has been feeding her extra corn on top of her normal feed, they say not but food seems to be going down more. ( she's at a family's members holding temporarily)  could this be the problem?
Thanks

HappyHippy

Re: Pig sticking tongues out
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 03:16:10 pm »
Hiya  :wave:

You don't say which breed she is....... some of the shorter nosed breeds (Kunekunes, Middlewhite, Berkshire) can be prone to food compaction at the back of the jaw - sticking out the tounge could be a sign she's trying to dislodge something that's stuck. I don't know if corn would cause it as I've not fed mine corn, hopefully someone else will know better - but try to get a look in her mouth if you can  ;)
Corn could be causing the stool problems, but it could also be her body getting ready to farrow too - stress to them to stick to her usual rations and a bit of fruit and veg instead of the corn  :thumbsup:

Good luck with her & welcome to TAS  :wave:
Karen

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 03:19:12 pm »
i am assuming corn is maize with this one    and is the corn whole or milled :farmer:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:58:37 pm »
Also make sure she has plenty of water too.....They seem to drink a lot more in the days before farrowing.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Amysidwells

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:57 pm »
She's a gos x pietrain and does have quite a short snout.
The pig corn is in tiny pellet form.
 Plenty of water always available. All our other pigs are saddle backs and never seen them doing what she is doing, not before farrowing either. Thought maybe she may be getting a little stressed with being moved so close to due date too. See how she goes next few days. hopefully nothing serious.
Thanks for the help.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:17:09 am »
Ive just brought an in pig guilt she is due To give birth in around 7 days. The last few days she has started sticking her tongue out constantly. Also now has diarrhea. Does anyone know as to why she would be doing it. Ive never come across it before and my other pigs have never done it.
Not sure if someone has been feeding her extra corn on top of her normal feed, they say not but food seems to be going down more. ( she's at a family's members holding temporarily)  could this be the problem?
Thanks
Agree with HH that she might have something stick in her mouth roof or down the side of her gums, if she'll let you see if you can rub a finger round her mouth to see if you can detect anything. they also stick their tongues out if they get a taste of something they don't like!
You say she's at a family member's holding temporarily, is she going to give birth there? I would suggest you don't move her again prior to farrowing or you will have the most horrendous time, sows like to familiarize themselves with their farrowing accommodation about a week before giving birth that way they get settled in familiar surroundings and will be happy giving birth there, if you move her so close chances are she will be agrressive and attack either you or her newborns. (read my farrowing article on the GOS website) Imagine yourself giving birth with complete strangers in a place you didn't know!
Hope all goes well and you get soem lovely piglets, they should be good and chunky with that mix of breeding.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Amysidwells

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:48:24 am »
We've tried looking in her mouth he was having none of it. Yes she's staying where she is until after the piglets are born.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS