Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Easy care sewes wanted  (Read 5284 times)

clivemaz

• Joined Dec 2011
Easy care sewes wanted
« on: April 22, 2012, 06:17:41 pm »
Hi,
We are after approx 10 easy care tegs plus 5 with lambs as a starter flock.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Easy care sewes wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:18:44 pm »
What's a teg?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 06:37:33 pm »
Ditto?

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:08:19 pm »
I think it's a lamb before it's first shearing.
Sheep

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:45:49 am »
Usually in it's second year and before shearing.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:16:12 am »
Where are you based Clivemaz? What do you mean by easy care? I have yearling ewes and 2 year old with singles and twins but no sheep is completely problem free. Mine are bucket trained so easy to gather for treatment/movement etc. They, like all sheep will need regular vaccination, worming, foot trimming & shearing once/twice (if you want good fleece) yearly. They'll need an optimum stocking rate of 6 to an acre of good grazing plus hay and hard feed at sparse times. They are a meduim size breed so not too awkward to tip but I'm troubled by the 'easy care' request. Could you give us some more info?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 11:31:41 am »
Where are you based Clivemaz? What do you mean by easy care? I have yearling ewes and 2 year old with singles and twins but no sheep is completely problem free. Mine are bucket trained so easy to gather for treatment/movement etc. They, like all sheep will need regular vaccination, worming, foot trimming & shearing once/twice (if you want good fleece) yearly. They'll need an optimum stocking rate of 6 to an acre of good grazing plus hay and hard feed at sparse times. They are a meduim size breed so not too awkward to tip but I'm troubled by the 'easy care' request. Could you give us some more info?

I think he/she means the 'Easy Care' breed. They are a shedding bred developed by Iolo Williams, for which he won a nobel prize. Blood is mainly wilts horns put to welsh mounatins, with some Lleyn in there somewhere. I'd considered them, but I can't find anyone who has anything nice to say about the breed, so I thought I'd make my own by putting Lleyns to a wilts ram and then those offspring to another wilts ram. There are improved inds of polled, shedding sheep, such as the Exlana: http://www.sig.uk.com/.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:34:00 am »
Ahhh. Thanks SteveHants. That makes sense. Did know about the self shedders. Didn't know 'easy care' was terminology for them though. Something new learned every day!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 07:36:31 pm »
The native breeds (soay, boreray, moorits) are considered 'easy care' in that you don't have to do too much to them, their coats drop off (about now) and they lamb without your help.  You do have to gather them twice a year for worming, feet, injections, tags etc and care for the lambs if there are problems, but twice a year is hardly a hassle. You can train them to the bucket or we train ours to the trough and then put the trough in the sheep shed for a week so they get used to it before shutting them in if we need to do anything (so they aren't suspicious). Soay and Castlemilk Moorits are quite popular now and you will probably find some near you (although they are registered as 'rare breeds'.  No livestock are completely easy peasy.  When you have livestock you have problems - somewhere.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 02:53:20 pm »
Its also a principe as well as a breed - easy care management is lambing outdoors with minimal shepherding, feeding no concentrates etc. It works, but you have to have the right sheep, strict culling policy and plenty of grass - ie a low stocking density. If they are lambing outside, you need to give them plenty of room. Wooled 'easy care' breeds include: NZ Romney, Lleyn, Highlander and its associated Primera...

Heres the breed society website: http://www.easycaresheep.com/

Dr Neil Wheeler

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 01:48:54 pm »
I have up to twenty Easycare ewes available for sale, from now.
They are pure stock. My ewes are from Anglesea. The ram is from a separate pure easycare flock in the South East.
These are the lambs from ewes that lambed out without aid, and shed well.
Vaccinated and generally pretty healthy.
Email me if you are interested.
Best wishes,
Neil

Dr Neil Wheeler

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 01:50:44 pm »
I have up to twenty Easycare ewes available for sale, from now.
They are pure stock. My ewes are from Anglesea. The ram is from a separate pure easycare flock in the South East.
These are the lambs from ewes that lambed out without aid, and shed well.
Vaccinated and generally pretty healthy.
Email me if you are interested.
Best wishes,
Neil
nwheeler@brookes.ac.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS