Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching Eggs  (Read 1505 times)

Rosadollymixture

• Joined Mar 2012
Hatching Eggs
« on: April 22, 2012, 02:51:51 pm »
I need some advice.  I'm having a first attempt at getting some of our hen's eggs to hatch.  I've followed the instructions so far from the books about introducing the cockerel and beginning to collect the eggs but would like to know from those of you who have practical experience what is the most successful way of getting a hen to hatch them.  I've got a small flock of Scots Dumpies.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Hatching Eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:59:07 pm »
Put pot eggs into a prepared nest of hay on soil is best (Lewis Wrights book 1867 edition) in a separate broody coop and run. She should brood them if she is going to. When on the nest start changing the eggs. One at a time every hour. If you change them all and they are stone cold she may get off. Hen should be two years old otherwise her inexperience means she may not see it through. She will produce fertile eggs the day after she is trodden. Check for fertility by checking the blastoderm -too complicated to explain here but there are some good sites that show with pictures.

Good luck RosaDM.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS