Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck with bad leg  (Read 3315 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Duck with bad leg
« on: April 22, 2012, 02:15:47 pm »
I noticed yesterday that my little duck didn't come for her food. I wasn't too worried as sometimes she waits until the geese are out of the way.  This morning was the same and when I investigated I found her at the bottom of the slope to the pond, unable to get back up as she has hurt her leg/foot. 

OH got her onto the pond and she swam and preened but you could see that she is lop sided. We put her into a pen on her own with food and water and she ate and drank. 

Other than the fact that she can't put any weight on the leg there doesn't seem to be any visable sign of a problem.

I don't know much about ducks as she came with the property. Should I be doing anything else for her?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Duck with bad leg
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:47:41 pm »
This is exactly what we did. I hadn't considered it could be serious as we've had ducks before that just recovered after a day or two. The latest now has been in safe accommodation on her own for about 6 weeks. She now can walk again but will probably always be limping so it may have been broken or the circulation to the leg was damaged.  Maybe you want to take yours to the vet to be sure?  :&>

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 05:09:04 pm »
When my ducks where on the hill with the geese they often got a pull from a goose. I found isolating them while you are studying the limp, wether it is broken or a goose tug etc then letting back on the water ASAP as I found the water was therapy , it took their weight and let healing take place quicker.They also feel safer on the water and can preen etc  and in less pain. That is what I found but you must be able to get them off the water to be locked up at night  ::) If you are at all worried of course take the duck to the vet.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:04:08 pm »
Ducks can go off their legs if they have heavy worms I've been told. Presume they have never been wormed but it's worth looking out for if another goes lame. Flubenvet is the stuff for chickens. Don't know if you can do ducks with it as well.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:10:18 pm »
Yes you can, we use Flubenvet on our ducks when they are about 3 weeks old, but we have larger Muscovy ducks which are almost like geese, but I wouldn't wait too long anyway, they are open to anything when wee.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS