Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A question  (Read 5218 times)

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
A question
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:09:23 am »
Twice we have had our vet enquire as to whether or not we would consider breeding from our border collie as she is what she would consider to be a good true to form example.Also the guy that trains both her ( and my OH :-[ ;D )  has asked for similar reasons along with her fabulous character traits.She is red and white with a wall eye :love:

All constuctive comments gratefully observed :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: A question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:13:07 am »
Oh, God, not more dog questions. I don't think I can take it. :'(

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:33:27 am »
I don't want to get caught up in any rows ;), but i think a vet and experienced dog trainer will probably be the " right " people to know if your dog is good enough to breed from.
But it comes down to you in the end
Do you want to have the hassle?
But if no one bred good working pups, where would we get them from ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:36:30 am »
I know what you're saying Rosemary, but Padge has asked a reasonable question and deserves a reasonable answer, hopefully several!

Padge, have a look at the advice on the ISDS site (which will include the appropriate health checks and information about registration) and see if you can pre-sell the litter (to working homes please!)   

Do you know of an appropriate stud dog you would use?  If not, it might be worth approaching your nearest traillist / breeder - up my way this would be Derek Scrimgeour (Killibrae Sheepdogs.)  If they were happy to use one of their dogs with your bitch, they'd maybe help with marketing the litter too - Killibrae Sheepdogs has a very active Facebook page which often has info about pups bred using a Killibrae sire.

It's especially important with working collies to be sure you can find good working homes.  Not all the pups will work, perhaps (not all take to it), but a collie that has the instincts will struggle to fit into a conventional pet home - many of them end up with the rescue charities as problem dogs.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 10:38:37 am »
why did you buy the dog in the first place    companion   agility  or to breed
the bitch line is only half of what you will end up with
at one time nobody wanted collie pups and the most were given away or drowned at birth  times have moved on bitches sterilized and dogs well they are not going to come home with buns in the oven
we have had buyers giving us there phone number and pleading to get in touch when the next litter arrives and when you contact them they have purchased another dog or breed    and incidental we have not sold one by this method
have you breed anything before will her temperament change once she has conceived and given birth will she even conceive
we have been breeding for the last 10 years and have come to the end with this particular line  :farmer:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 08:42:28 pm »
The only advice I would give is personally I would avoid a sire with either red colouring or wall eyes!!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 08:59:34 pm »
I personally would not breed from her because there are many out there who want a 'candy colour collie' and know nothing about them and buy red pups with the idea of breeding candy colour pups.
I know of peeps that sell a BC pup for £100 but charge £500 for it's red merle litter mate.
I was asked to breed Red Dog but wouldn't for this reason.
However if she is a top class worker, is 100% fit and healthy and you can be sure the pups will go to good knowledgeable homes then I would have no objections :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 09:50:00 pm »
shep why avoid a wall eyed dog :farmer:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:10:56 pm »
RW - I presume that wall eye is heritable ( correct me if I'm wrong) and you wouldn't want too many in a litter!  It may not affect their eyesight but could well affect their saleability.  People may say - aww cute, but will they buy?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 07:20:44 am »
Robert     she was bought to work  and with no initial intention of breeding.The question arose because of the two specific people asking the question. I would say that the chap that breeds trains and travels the world doing so was keen to have her ............and though she's not for sale would have a very suitable stud dog.

She's proving to be a star with correct training tho he does say OH needs more than she  ;D

Thanks for all replies

Padge

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 01:34:54 pm »
my only dog experience is with the dogs i have   Shep the dog and bitches that we have breed from have perfect eyes the pups occasionally have a wall eye and then only one pup
so a wall eye is not ascetically pleasing to the eye      all have been sold one went for a mountain rescue dog and is fully qualified and was an advantage when calling the dog in the dark (the eye showed up different in the torchlight)
padge it is probably her working ability that impressed the trainer not all collies are instinctive workers some can be just well thick and no use for anything :farmer:

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 11:55:02 pm »
hi padge
would you be able to take back and then rehome any unwanted pups, that is, do you have the space available and do you have the necessary finance. so many people want a cute pup but later they change there minds and return the young adult.
has your girl passed the health tests for her breed and does she have restrictions on her pedigree.
do you have the time.
do you have the use of a dog that would be suitable for your bitch.

i wouldnt want to put you off the idea, i loved having puppies about the place but it was so tiring.
kn

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 07:39:32 am »
Thanks once again all :thumbsup:

Robert   we have a lolloping lump that's practically useless but lovely all the same :-*

KN      we have indeed considered over and over   and insideout all of the answers to the points you and the others have listed........and indeed.......I think that we have decided it would not be the best thing to do given that we never intended to breed from her and the question arose quite simply out of the other enquiries :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS