Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wool coming away from one of my herdwicks !  (Read 6300 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
wool coming away from one of my herdwicks !
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:33:19 pm »

could I please ask someone with herdwicks to look at the photos, there were some long tuffs of wool coming away, so i took a closer look and all her fleece started coming away....not fly strike, someone has mentioned lice ! but the underneath is all nice new short fleece with like specks of dandruff (not living things) does anyone know that if this could be the result of the warmer weather a few weeks ago and she is just sheding fleece or that she might have lice? i have put crovect on as a precaution.

any advice is appreciated

thanks   andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: wool coming away from one of my herdwicks !
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:44:59 pm »
I don't breed herdwicks but to me that looks like wool break....thats the new fleece underneath. Can have a lot of causes but i wouldn't worry unless itching a lot when i'd suspect lice
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:57:29 pm »
agree it could also just be down to a stress of some kind, one of mine shed most of her fleece before her first lambing and she def didnt have lice at all. It all grew back (and it took very little time to shear her that year!). She didnt do it the next year or this year.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 11:17:42 pm »
Yep we have a couple like that this year. One looks like she's wearing lace curtains at the moment. Can't catch the darn thing to shear her off!!  and she was a ewe who slipped a lamb this year so we put it down to stress. Wool is coming underneath to replace what she's loosing so we're not too worried

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 07:34:36 am »
It happened to our Herdies the first year we had them. They all did this and I had a complete panic that we had brought sheep scab into the dale and would be ostracised before we'd been accepted  :D

Fortunately my Dad came and looked at them and said it wasn't scab.

Later we realised it was just that they'd been on hard pickings high up on the fell and then come to us where they'd been better looked after. The fleece suddenly grew and broke. It didn't happen again quite so spectacularly after that first year  :D

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:35:55 am »
thanks for all your experiances, today i will catch the two and see if i can sheer them, i suppose that the healthy fleece underneath is the sign of wool break, if it was lice would we be looking at sore skin where they rub them selves?

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:10:28 am »
It also happened to my two ewe lambs (Gotland and Zwartbles) who were very ill with a worm burden earlier in the year, they both completely shed their fleece to leave a beautiful new coat!  One of them still has a fleece ruff round her neck which still hasn't come off  :D

The scurfy bit you describe is just that, scurf.  If it was lice you would see them moving  :)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 06:24:40 pm »
I sheared her this afternoon, you were all right, wool break, all healthy, no sigh of lice, but i am so surprised how much wool these herdwicks have got ! not much sheep left !!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 07:30:09 pm »
Biting lice do look like specs of dandruf (I thought they were tine bits of lanolin) - on very close inspection they are a little bit oval and do move (very slowly).  The ones I was shown (by vet) were buff coloured specs to naked eye - but unbelievably freocious looking under microscope!.  My affected sheep look like they have been beautifully sheared in parts (one looks like a poodle) - perfect short wool coat underneath, no broken skin - but they were itching themselves on posts (in fact, still are so not sure the 'spot on hav been entirely sccessful, or else they have picked up more). Not Herdwicks though.  Good luck, Fi

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 08:50:08 pm »
am so surprised how much wool these herdwicks have got ! not much sheep left !!
  :D true dat  :D

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 09:41:12 pm »
Mine looks like the 'should have gone to specsavers ad... ;D ;D

I give her a scratch and pull some of it out as it's too cold still here at nights to shear (we had a frost this morning and the wind is very cold).
You are never to old to learn something new

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 10:06:34 pm »
ALL our herdwicks looked like welfare cases this time last year, after 12 months of good care only a couple look raggedy at the moment.  we have been turning out after doing feet, worming and pour on down the spine just in case of lice, but this year it does look like wool break.

we are half way through lambing only 14 mums to go, 23 born no losses................keeping fingers crossed

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 12:19:40 pm »
well done herdy girl  sounds exciting, i wish i could have a farm and do it for a living but down here its 10k per achre  minimum !! im lucky i have pockets of land i can lease for small amounts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS