Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transporting weaners  (Read 8143 times)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Transporting weaners
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 12:57:39 pm »
I see that it is only required by those transporting animals 'as an economic activity'.
There's nothing economic about my activities. :(

They take nearly three pages to describe what is an economic activity, and production of food is generally counted as economic if you sell meat. However whether you would ever be done for this is debateable, esp. as Trading Standards have better things to do.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 01:40:47 pm »
I sent an email to Animal Health, Carmarthenshire on 4th April asking them to clarify what was classed as economic activity.  They haven't yet responded. Presumably still making up their mind  ;D

When/if I do get a response I will post it here.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 01:42:39 pm »
Ah yes - this has been debated on this forum before and I seen to remember that the issue of "economic activity" was never really sorted out satisfactorally  :)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 06:08:55 pm »
Suspect yuu'll get the usual Defra response (AH is part of defra), that only the courts can qualify what the term means.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 07:54:39 pm »
I have sent them another email reminding them that I am waiting for a reply.  Lets see what happens
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 09:09:32 pm »
2-3-4-and 5hrs away towing a trailer.. deisal nearly £1.50 a ltr  ??? ??? ???... they must be dam expensive locally.

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 09:51:46 pm »
maybe they want quality ;) :farmer:

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 11:07:50 pm »
The guidence I got here in Scotland specifically mentioned hobby breeders and smallholders. Basically it's economic activity if you're running pig-keeping as a business (though it doesn't have to be a profitable one!), but if you're mainly raising a couple of pigs for you and your family it doesn't count, even if you sell some of the pork to friends. I sat the exam: it's 60% common sense and the rest can be learned in half an hour or so. It cost £80 all told, so quite a bit of money, but we do sell most of our pork and are a business so are engaged in economic activity, though not neccessarily a profitable one ;)
The regs say anything up to 8 hours is ok for weaners over 10kg. The longest I've done was about 5 hours (for weaners for breeding) in the back of the car. The car stank, but they were fine!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS