Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe with a hard quarter.  (Read 2952 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Ewe with a hard quarter.
« on: April 20, 2012, 11:45:41 pm »
We have a Gotland ewe, Betsy. In her first year of lambing triplets (2009) with us she developed mastitis in her left quarter. We had the vet insert an antibiotic straw, gave her further injections as directed and stripped the quarter of the 'cheese' a few times every day until she was empty. She kept the quarter as a result, but we gave her a break from lambing the following year to fully recover. In 2011 she produced a fine set of twins and, to our delight, both udders were sound and milk was produced for both lambs. Betsy has just given birth to another set of twins tonight, very quietly bless her without any fuss (she just gets on with it - the advantages of experienced ewes) and I've found whilst the right side is soft and produces milk, the left is hard, slightly lumpy and NOTHING comes out. She patiently let us try so it doesn't hurt her. It feels the same temperature as it's partner (not hot/not cold) and is not a dodgy colour (had a ewe with gangrene last year and the udder was removed, so I know the blackness and cold to look for). I will call the vet tomorrow and I've fed the babies the powdered colostrum to be on the safe side but I wonder if any of you have any advice and experience to share on the matter. It would be much appreciated. I don't want to have missed something obvious or find out I could've done something.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ewe with a hard quarter.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 04:25:03 am »
I had a similar experience with a favourite ewe  :'(  Recovered and reared her lambs the year she had mastitis, udder all ok on pre-tupping checks, she went on and reared her lambs ok the next year (although I was never convinced they were getting as much milk as I'd have liked), udder still ok on next pre-tupping check but when she lambed she had nothing much in the affected quarter.  I had to give one of her lambs to a neighbour to set on, and Judith had to be culled once she'd reared the remaining lamb.

BH always culls them if they get mastitis and I am now of the same opinion - the udder may feel ok but we find that the milk supply is nonetheless compromised.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:30:57 am »
Thanks Sally,

perhaps this should be the last time we breed from her. A pity as she's an amazing mother. Don't know if we can cull Betsy though. Been through so much with her. Have to think about that one...

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 11:20:24 am »
Nope can't even consider that one. Betsy's a 'for life' sheep. Vet has called back. Advised 3ml P&S over next five days to be safe but unless it looks/feels iffy then assume it's just redundant and scarred. Not sure why it filled out though if no good OR indeed why she got use of it last year. Ho hum...suppose some questions just don't get answers.

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:21:22 pm »
Just to say we have had mastitis in one of our ewes Rosie. The left udder has been stripped, vet in for injections, but advised not to breed from her again as it will return and could be passed down through any lambs. Right udder functioning well and left udder now shrivelling up a bit. Such a shame but it looks as though we are going to have to cull Rosie later in the year.  :'(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS