Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick of this rain!!  (Read 3094 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Sick of this rain!!
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:18:05 pm »
My herd moved into the summer field end of March (oh how lovely and warm it was, a distant memory) - but for the last three days it has rained non-stop and their beautiful field is now a muddy quagmire, liquid mud up to their knees and a distinct lack of green grass  >:(.  I'm going to have to turn them back out to the winter field which I had harrowed and rolled and it was looking so lovely  :-\.

Roll on summer, or is this it .....  :(
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: Sick of this rain!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:37:02 pm »
We need a lot more rain yet i'm afraid. Its rained every day here for over a week and ground is still dry.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:42:43 am »
Ugh god - it's a nightmare. Really demoralising. The stream is so loud I keep thinking that we have left the water pump on as there is this continuous distant low frequency hum all the time.

It was very encouraging to hear the water companies say that the reservoirs were full and that the deficit had been redressed slightly.

I'd rather have rain than drought.....
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 07:51:56 am »
Never gonna be a drought just here I don't think. It's back to the usual splodging about  :P Maybe I could export water.........

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 07:55:10 am »
When we had a problem with our water tank and had to bring in an emergency supply it came from Surrey.  We are in Wales  ??? ???

So they took water from a drought area and moved it to an area that already has plenty. That has to be crazy.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 07:39:46 pm »
We had sunshine today, ponies out without rugs. Be a while before the fields dry but at least the rain has stopped  :thumbsup:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 10:10:31 am »
We have been fairly lucky and not had too much rain.  We just have a small paddock, which is holding up at the moment.  Just started to rain today though :s

Helen

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 04:18:09 pm »
Really fed up with it all now.
chicken paddocks and turkey paddocks all have puddles and sloppy mud :( :( :(
still windy and not easy cleaning them all out etc.....
not culling the eaters today..wait till a bit warmer
mx

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 10:36:32 pm »
Brought my four in at lunchtime; if I had known it was going to be so bad last night I would have brought them in last night. I called from the gate and they came running so think they are very glad to be in and dry and fed. At least I will get some sleep tonight as I kept waking up with every big gust feeling guilty last night.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS