Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pickled eggs  (Read 10616 times)

the great composto

Re: Pickled eggs
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 06:03:02 pm »
I have done pickled eggs before but they tasted very vinegary  :( - i used white vinegar - should I have diluted it?
I like the idea of brown sugar because I use that when pickling courgettes but can somebody tell me how much brown suger per litre of vinegar to use please?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 06:14:41 pm »
just do it to your own taste.
could you share your pickled courgette recipe, ive never got that to work.

the great composto

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 09:08:35 am »
Just for Deepinthewoods - my favourite courgette pickle recipe.  I always add some chilli and tried some extra chilli which is good too.
This post prompted me to get last years courgette out and find the pickled eggs form the back of the cupboard - thanks.

I have used a combination of yellow & green courgettes but the yellow ones tend to go brown.
I also put a combination of small (finger size) sliced courgettes and peeled 'julienne' style bigger ones for variety.

Pickling mix:~
500ml cider vinegar
120g sugar
1&1/2 tsp dry mustard
1&1/2 tsp crushed yellow & brown mustard seed
1 tsp ground turmeric

500g courgettes
2tbsp salt
1 sm onion

1.slice courgettes &onoin very thinly into discs(easier with a mandoline!)
Place in bowl~add salt & mix well.cover with very cold water & stir to dissolve salt.
after 1hr drain & dry thoroughly~either in salad spinner or between towels.

2.Combine pickling mix in saucepan & simmer for 3 mins.set aside until just warm.

3.Mix courgettes & onion with the cooled liquid.~transfer to sterilised jars.cover & refrigerate for at least a day before eating.
Will keep indefinately in fridge.

can also add dried chilli flakes to the mix for an added kick!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 11:14:28 am »
My Mum used to do a similar thing with cucumbers sliced with onion, but she used white vinegar and put celery seed in it. It was called "Bread and Butter pickle" and it was LUSH!!!!

Mary is now off to hunt for the exact recipe as cu's and onions are dirt cheap over here!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS