Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead romney lamb, will the ewe dry up on her own?  (Read 7925 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Dead romney lamb, will the ewe dry up on her own?
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:48:20 am »
I was very pi**ed off yesturday when I found our biggest romney ram lamb 3 weeks old, dead under a hedge, perfect looking, no signs of anything abnormal, clean bum, no swelling or cuts ect, maybe it was a change to the wet weather? this was a big lamb ! secondly ive brought the ewe onto poor pasture and will keep an eye on her, will she dry up herself? she is full of milk atm any advice please , many thanks
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Nell

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Nr Thornhill, Dumfries
Re: Dead romney lamb, will the ewe dry up on her own?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:02:59 am »
Hi Andy, sorry to hear about the lamb.  :(

She should do. We've lost a couple of texel lambs this year and the ewes have dried up over time - the ewe will be a bit lost for a few days but she will adapt. If you are concerned you can get the vet to administer an injection of Micotil to help dry her out.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:03:19 am »
I wonder - would it be too late to try to foster a lamb on to her?? was she a really stong mother...ie one that would be desperate to have any lamb?
emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 06:33:50 pm »
she was a very strong mother with her own lamb, would let any other lamb near her, I dont fancy skinning her lamb, couldnt manage that !

I think the dead lamb was due to this sudden change to wet weather

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:12:07 pm »
Hi Andywalt
We put any ewes who loose a lamb and we can't foster to onto rough or poor pasture and cut any hard feed. she should dry back on her own but keep an eye on her for any signs of mastitis.
Sorry about the lamb, are you up to date with all your vaccinations/ Heptavac etc

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:42:01 pm »
yup all heptavac p and have moved her to rough fields and not feeding any hard feed,  I am hopeing we dont get any other lambs dieing with this bad wet weather !!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 03:23:29 am »
If you are concerned you can get the vet to administer an injection of Micotil to help dry her out.
Forgive me Nell, but Micotil is a restricted (vet use only) antibiotic.  It might be used if the ewe contracted mastitis which was not responding to other antibiotics but should not be used prophylactically.  Even if prophylactic use of antibiotics were a good idea, I don't see how an antibiotic would help dry her out?

As others have said, andywalt, put the ewe on poor ground for a few days, don't give any additional feed (including licks) and she'll dry off naturally. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Nell

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Nr Thornhill, Dumfries
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:49:56 am »
No that's fair enough - I was basing my response on if there was an underlying issue with the ewe and what my neighbours have used before in case the lamb wasn't feeding properly -may clear it up whilst she dries out - but by putting her onto rough pasture, like he has done, I can't see a problem

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:20:20 pm »
I've never had a problem with mastitis, I've always left my ewes in with the others, sometimes the act as 'auntie' and feed other lambs and other times they dry off.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS