Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducks v Chickens  (Read 2984 times)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Ducks v Chickens
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:14:16 pm »
have 6 chucks and a rooster a few months now and just bought 3 ducks. my problem is feeding. i read ducks like to munch all day as opposed to 2 meals morning and night (which i have kinda noticed). my problem is that if i leave food out for the ducks the chickens scare them away eat it all. so what i have been doing is letting the ducks out first in the morning about an hour before the chickens and same in the evening but they still dont seem to eat much of it. i feel the chickens are getting a raw deal. the ducks ave loads of space to wander in the grass rummaging for whatever they can find. they dont seem to eat much at night either as their food bowl is still quite full in the morning. was thinking of making a small pond with an island and put their food on this. any ideas anyone. cheers

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Ducks v Chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:01:35 pm »
I'd build a pond and put their food on an island - provided you can reach the island  ;), or have a good cricket bowling style. ::) My ducks and chickens are in separate pens and sheds, so I can feed them separately, but to be honest chickens and ducks both graze all day. My hens are 'aye peckin', and my ducks will forage and snuffle about the lawn all day if I let them(they are getting rid of all the moss for me at the mo).  If your ducks are leaving the pellets then they prefer what they can forage for.  Can you perhaps feed the ducks inside - maybe leave their food overnight so they get it in the morning.  You need to be sure you have no long tailed friends though. ;)  (Dan, why no Rat icon?) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS