Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help  (Read 4136 times)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
Help
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:22:44 pm »
We got 5 shearling ewes in march 2011 and u don't think they are tagged correctly.  They have single ear tag.  They were in lamb when we collected them do clearly they were not due for slaughter. Due to their age and stresses of moving do close to lambing if was unsuccessful last year but this year they have proven to be wonderful Shetland mummies and we have lots of twins running around!

I am keen to make sure they and their lovely ewe lambs who will stay are tagged right do can anyone tell me how I sort the mess out?  Also assuming I gave to replace tags how is the kindest way to removd the ones they have in their ears?  Thanks in advance for any replies but we are a tiny holding and don't want to get it wrong.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:18:48 pm »
Hi

we had same issue as you in that the 2 ewe's we chose to keep only had single tags.
I contact SUpplies for Smallholders and ordered a set of regulation EID and non EID tags so we could double tag.  Lucky for me (not for the sheep) the old tags had caused a long tear so I could cut the folded bit and gently pull it through.
we had to order 'replacement ear tags' in order to comply as advised by Animal health at our local office.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 05:28:31 pm »
Many thanks do you have the suppliers contact details?  Thanks

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 05:30:35 pm »
You will need to get yourself some red replacement tags, with your flock/holding number on, and then re-tag the sheep.  You also have to record this re-tagging in your flock book, showing the old and new tag numbers.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 05:34:20 pm »
suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Gareth is incredibly helpful.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 07:40:03 pm »
Hello

Suggest  you contact Sandra from whom you bought them as she had just not got around to putting the eid tags in and may still have them. Alternatively you simply ring a tag company and ask for 5 replacement eid tags....its very simple since they all came from the same holding where they were born just up the road from me and therefore you do not need to do anything complicated!

So to reiterate....best thing is to ring tag company that you use to tag the lambs and ask for 5 replacement EID tags for sheep that have lost them....same number as the tag in the other ear....sorted!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:16:02 pm »
I may be wrong, but I'm fairly sure once a sheep has left it's holding of birth on a single tag it cannot be upgraded to EID tags.  :-\
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 08:33:15 pm »
DEFRA.....
These are the rules
If your sheep loses its identifier or it becomes impossible to read, you must replace the
identifier:
• no later than 28 days after the tag was removed or discovered to be lost or illegible;
or
• before the sheep is moved from your holding;
whichever is earlier.
3.15 Replacements – general
Whenever you apply replacements you must make a record of this in the replacement
section of the holding register.
3.16 Replacement tags – double identified animals
The replacement rules are the same for full EID identified animals and those in the
historic flock.
a) Where one tag is lost
When you need to replace one lost tag you have the following two options.
Option 1
Apply a replacement tag which has the same identification number as the original tag,
and then make a record of the replacement in the replacement section of the holding
register.

I suggest this is the simple option

You would need to order a tag with the same number from your supplier. The tag must
not be red.
Option 2
Remove the remaining tag and apply a new set of identifiers from your stock of tags. If
the animal was identified after 31 December 2009 and kept for breeding or beyond 12
months of age, one of the identifiers must be electronic, and the following will apply.
Section three
19 Section three
• If the animal is not on the holding of birth, the replacement tags must be red (unless
identical numbered replacements are applied).

Your sheep have their ID tag so you already know their UK number so you do not need red!!!!
• If the animal was first identified before 31 December 2009, replacing with an EID
identifier is optional.
• You must cross reference the old number and the new number in the replacement
section of the holding register, except for older sheep still on the holding of birth,
when no cross reference is necessary.

No one needs to know they never had their EID tags in.....just put one in as a 'replacement'
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:35:47 pm by woollyval »
www.valgrainger.co.uk

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:43:44 pm »
According to the rules in the book in front of me.

"Animals identified from 31st December 2009 and kept for breeding or beyond 12 months of age . Need to be identified with a double set of identifiers.

• One must be electronic

• Both must have the same individual number - your unique flock mark (with a zero in front) followed by a five digit animal number.

A sheep with a single non electronic tag not on it's holding of birth cannot be upgraded to EID.
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 08:55:37 pm »

"Animals identified from 31st December 2009 and kept for breeding or beyond 12 months of age . Need to be identified with a double set of identifiers.

• One must be electronic

• Both must have the same individual number - your unique flock mark (with a zero in front) followed by a five digit animal number.

A sheep with a single non electronic tag not on it's holding of birth cannot be upgraded to EID.

Sigh....but it CAN 'lose' one......Do you work for Animal Health or something ::)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 09:08:11 pm »

• One must be electronic

Sigh....but it CAN 'lose' one......Do you work for Animal Health or something ::)

Of course sheep can loose tags, but's thats not what the OP said in her post.

The ewes should have been double tagged with EID when they were sold - simple.

No I don't work for Animal Health, but it's possible someone reading this forum may do.  :o

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:15:14 pm »
Well at least I have suggested a solution and tbh so long as the sheep are tagged I don't think anyone is going to lose sleep over it!
I happen to know the person who sold the sheep very well and they were sold as in lamb hogs ie they were in lamb lambs and had they not got in lamb would have gone for slaughter.......

www.valgrainger.co.uk

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 09:40:10 pm »

• One must be electronic

Of course sheep can loose tags, but's thats not what the OP said in her post.

The ewes should have been double tagged with EID when they were sold - simple.

No I don't work for Animal Health, but it's possible someone reading this forum may do.  :o

Jesus, well there's no point in putting a great big neon sign over it is there? Sheep didn't comply, advice given, sheep now comply, everyone happy. Yes, the ewes should have been tagged when they were sold, but they weren't. Yes they should have been sold with the tags to be put in at a later date, but they weren't. As WoolyVal says, the owner might actually have the tags. It's not just down to the seller to comply but also the person purchasing those animals.

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 07:57:00 am »
Thank you everyone who has posted.  Have left message to order 5 replacement eid tags for the ewes and will note in my holding register.  Have also ordered 7 lots of tags for my ewe lambs from these very clever mummies sorry the boys who are lovely are destined for freezer so single tags will do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS