Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pricing pork  (Read 8511 times)

barry

• Joined Apr 2009
pricing pork
« on: April 09, 2009, 03:16:56 pm »
Hi

Our first foray into pigs - four saddlebacks - have just hit 70-75kg, so have booked them in to go in a couple of weeks. We already sell half lambs, and the same customers are happy to take half a pig and then split it with a friend if its too much for them.

So, question is, what should we be looking to charge for a half pig, all jointed, sausages etc done by the abattoir ?

I know one answer is to work out what they've cost us and make sure sale price is higher  :) but would be useful to know what the experienced folks on here are charging.

many thanks, Barry       

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: pricing pork
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 03:22:55 pm »
I've seen various prices, from £5 per kilo to £6.50 per kilo. I've seen 1/2 pigs from £85 ( don't know how they can afford to sell at that) to £185 . I sell at £150 per 1/2 pigs all jointed, vac packed and suasages too. My customers ( family and frends ) are quite happy to get good quality meat at that price. it covers my costs ( i think) and helps me continue to keep a few pigs.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 05:08:15 pm »
I charge £8 per kilo, all in!!

I've usually got buyers when the piglets are only a few days old.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 06:08:04 pm »
I charge 8 euros per kilo for joints, chops and sausages.  12 euros per kilo for gammon and bacon.  After costs and cotisations dont make much profit on a pig.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 08:00:20 pm »
£155 per half pig, slaughtered, butchered and packed.
Pigtails

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:30:18 pm »
Work out what they have cost to raise i.e feed add 100% to absorb transport costs, your time, up keep of land,  fencing, straw, drugs etc.
then plus the cost of slaughter & buthcher on top. should see you in profit.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 11:59:43 am »
if you worked out your time, at minimum wage, you'd never be able to sell at that price, unless you had a comercial setup with large numbers. economy of scale. small producers have to use marginal costing allowing that their doing most of it as a hobby. we have to admit we are amateurs. you have to do all the welfare because you love the lifestyle, and respect the animals. trying to cut costs to turn a quick profit is unlikey to do anyone any good. you are not going into pigs as a get rich quick scheme , and if you are i suspect your animals will suffer. sorry for rant, just had some bad news about some weaners i bought, hefty unexpected vet bill, hopeful of quick recovery.

barry

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:37:47 am »

Many thanks for those useful replies. Have gone for £6/kg, once they are gone and the sums done I will post a quick breakdown of the figures just for interest.

thanks again, Barry. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 01:35:40 pm »
That's what I paid recently £6/kg
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 05:28:21 pm »
Carl sorry to hear about the weaners.  Are they ok now.  Its the unexpected that really hits the budget. 

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 06:45:39 pm »
i am still waiting for the vet to get back from her hoidays, should be here on thursday. weaners seem ok , just a little under the weather with a bit of a rattle and a temprature. a course of anti biotics should sort them out.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 07:44:13 pm »
Would you mind posting after vet visit, just so that we know all are ok.

barry

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 03:50:56 pm »

As promised, just posting the numbers from our first pigs - 4 saddlebacks - for interest:

Costings (4 pigs)

Weaners                  140
Weaner pellets           17.00
Transport (in)            10.00
Pig nuts                    92.63
Pig nuts                    43.23
Slaughter, cutting     265.55
Straw                       20.00
Transport (out)          10.00
Spuds (bartered)          foc

Total                         598.41

Say £600, divided by 4 pigs is £150/pig

Sale price £120/half, ie £240/pig

So, margin of £90/pig (before, of course, labour, rent and other fixed costs...).

Going to get more in after resting the shed. The only thing we'll prob do different is kill a bit sooner (Lw had got to 90kg for the biggest by time killed) and although the meat was delicious the shoulder was a bit fatty for some tastes, am guessing if we kill at a bit lighter weight this may be remedied slightly ?   

thanks again for the advice offered on pricing, Barry 

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 09:11:44 am »
Do you get takers at that price. we can get half a pig from the butchers for about £80 boned and sausages. We raised two saddleback crosses and our costs were in the £150 range per pig. I just dont see it being commercial to sell them at the moment.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 04:35:43 pm »
I think the market is a bit wrong at the moment. commercial pork is far too cheap, pushing carefull farmers out of business. Therefore premium, rare breed pork is also down in value as it has to reflect the competition. It is difficult to show a healthy profit. especially on a small scale. never just keep one, two to break even, three to make a small profit. Then you have all the long term investment to recoup. housing, fencing, drinking and eating troughs etc. also any other bits and bobs.
earlier in this thread I posted that I had two poorly weaners , which I had purchased in good faith. They are on the mend now but had a chest/ repiratory infection which required two vets visits and injections. Vets are not charity workers and this has stuffed any profit left in the equation. I was hoping that the more times I kept pigs , the more efficient i became. next time I will resist tthe urge to do the seller a favour, and walk away from from undersized weaners.
I have made contact with another local breeder who sounds a bit more experienced. however, I think the promised land of making a profit from small scale pig keeping is making a few dissapointed breeders try anything to move weaners on and get some money back.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS