Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb's head stuck in sheep hurdle?!  (Read 3946 times)

paulrollings

• Joined Jan 2012
  • West Hanney, Oxfordshire
Lamb's head stuck in sheep hurdle?!
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:04:33 pm »
I arrive to the sheep shed this morning and see my week old ram lamb with its head stuck in a sheep hurdle.  I apply lube and rotate the lamb, but no way its coming out.  I get the car jack and extend open the bars and phew its head comes out.

http://instagr.am/p/JgkaZVJR9t/

I then notice that its mouth is open and that the lamb can't seem to close his mouth.  I had a feel around its mouth and it didn't feel dislocated or broken!  I took the lamb to the vets who x-rayed it.  It wasn't broken or dislocated, the vet reckons that it might have strained its muscle on the back of its head when it was struggling to get out. 

I'm not sure if the lamb is able to suck from mum, it certainly tries.  We've given him some Metacam and I've taken some milk from its mum and been able to feed it.  I just hope that it gets better over the next couple of days !!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Lamb's head stuck in sheep hurdle?!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 03:37:44 pm »
Poor thing - they do have a way of finding trouble to get into, don't they  :D

I hope he mends quickly and can still suckle.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:38:27 pm »
Poor boy  :( That's sheep for you though  ::)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 03:45:13 pm »
If there's trouble around a sheep will find it! Hope the poor little soul mends soon.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 04:30:19 pm »
 :( Silly boy.

Hope he soon recovers.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 04:31:53 pm »
Do you think this was one of these SSA's? (Sheep suicide attempts) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 05:10:25 pm »
my little sister once got her head stuck in the hurdles of a huge sows pen at hereford market many years ago, there was hell up! they had to call the fire brigade. i still laugh about that now. normally when shes got a new boyfriend :D

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 05:15:23 pm »
I had two of the tiniest BWM lambs born one year.  Had to put them in the bottom of the Aga, got them going, took them up to mum, made sure they were suckling.  Left them in a nice warm pen.  Next morning one had squeezed inbetween a pipe and the wall and was dead.  Following moring the last one had put its head through the hurdle, then threaded it back through the other way and hung itself.   >:(

You posted about your sister whilst I was typing  ;D ;D ;D
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS