Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs not appearing  (Read 3262 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Lambs not appearing
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:52:26 pm »
I've got a Gotland ewe who has been bagged up and swollen up around the back end for about a week or more.
She can walk but it's more a waddle, when she's laid down she struggles with breathing but there's no sign of any lambs, she scanned for twins.
So the question is, because I think I've read it on here somewhere, would you ever consider putting a hand in to try and see what's going on ?
I had thought the lambs might be dead but there was definite movement in there tonight which wasn't the ewe breathing.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Lambs not appearing
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:08:05 pm »
I would leave well alone no need to worry nature will take its coarse, she will most probably be to tight for any internal  jookery pokey.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:45:46 am »
I've had ewes looking like that for over a week too. But now, just as I thought either they or their bags were going to explode, and because it's now raining like mad  ::) the lambs are beginning to come  :)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:18:17 am »
They'll come when they are ready. Probably into a puddle in a howling gale......

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:03:27 am »
They're better off where they are at the moment. I've had a Shetland like that and wanted to pick her up and shake the lambs out of her ;D She was vast and I was expecting triplets at least. She finally lambed yesterday, one normal sized ram and a minute ewe ::)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:58:39 am »
I know what your all saying, I'm sure I read on here somewhere about a vet massaging inside a ewe that wasn't producing. It's raining today so you never know. I'm worn out checking, they're both so late they obviously missed their chance with the first tup and got caught by the back up.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 09:14:30 am »
Mine have also been bagged up for ages, some had udders the size of cows, but they still didn't drop the babies till well after I thought it was imminent!  Some were as wide as houses and rolled from side to side when they walked.  I would leave well alone, if she seems fine.  Some of my ewes were laboured in their breathing while lying down for ages, I suppose lying down compresses things a bit and it's just having to cope with the size of their bellies and breathing at the same time   :D

I've got one more Gotland who is looking fairly imminent, she supposed to be due next Monday but the other two were a week early so who knows!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:13:29 am »
Mine never showed signs of having trouble with breathing but a couple who went on to have twins were so big they looked quite comical when they ran to the feed trough. Udder size doesnt seem to be a real indication ..... one of my soay had a huge bag for about 3 weeks. Thought she would be first to lamb but it was actually ewes that were smaller in size with less udder development!

Good luck .... sure they will be here soon.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 11:42:50 am »
My two commericals (first timers) were like cows for about 6 weeks. that was fun checking on them...  :-\

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 12:34:47 pm »
All my Gotlands are like barrage balloons. Some are being overtaken in lambing by others due after them. I've never know such a year for them doing it when they feel like it ::) I echo what Bigchicken says. Leave her to get on with it in her own time.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 02:53:48 am »
Never intervene internally until well after you see the water bag.  If you get the water bag then nothing for several hours, then you might gently investigate.

Once labour has started (the water bag has been ejected), if she isn't sufficiently dilated and the lambs are trying to come, then yes you can help her open up by massaging the cervix.  But if you are a novice I really wouldn't be getting into that - if you think you may need to do this, get an experienced person to have a look and tell you whether you just need to be more patient.

As everyone else has said, we too have had ewes this year seemingly well over their times, the size of houses, bags like cows' and fit to burst - but they eventually do their thing when they are good and ready.  And yes, that usually means when some foul weather comes.  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS