Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lack of grass. is hay and coarse mix enough  (Read 3712 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
lack of grass. is hay and coarse mix enough
« on: April 16, 2012, 04:57:55 pm »
With the snowy winter and lack of rain we are having problems. We have a 2 acre field that housed our 14 sheep and 3 horses all winter (I know it is heavily stocked :-( ). We were resting our 2 smaller summer paddocks all winter for lambing. Our first two lambs came a little early and so they are spending longer than we hoped in the small paddocks (don't want to put them into the bigger field until all lambed, feet trimmed, vaccinated and sheared if possible). We are also waiting for the bigger field to grow a little more and hopefully reduce the worm burden etc before the little ones go out there. We are poo picking daily and they are getting about a bale of hay ( including the horses) every day. We have a large hay rack that we keep filled up. The sheep have a large bucket of coarse mix between them every evening and the have a tubby and a salt and mineral block. My question is, will the ewes (our ram and wethers are now out in the big field) get all the nutrients they need from a little grass, lots of hay, a little coarse mix and their tubby or should I consider letting them mow my lawn, roses etc? 

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: lack of grass. is hay and coarse mix enough
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:04:04 pm »
We have the same problem. I'm going to move my little flock as soon as they have finished lambing and we've sorted them out. I'm spending a fortune on feed, going to get a bale of haylage for the poor things. We're also considering putting a gate in so that they can come into our garden, such as it is. (Work in progress, but there's more grass than in the field.) Also, out paddock seems to be very mossy, so I might treat it while they're holidaying in greener pastures.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 06:00:32 pm »
you need to get familiar with conditions scoring them. Then you can monitor whether they are losing condition too quickly and if they are you can up their food intake accordingly.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:20:49 pm »
Sorry no easy answer , are all sheep lambed or some still pregnant , what % protein is the mix . What breed to  guess live weight , what condition score . As a rough guide my cross ewes wt 80kg with twin lambs will get 1kg 18% nuts per day on silage inside or grass outside ,  singles 0.5kg  all ewes c. s. 2 or better. If you let the milk go away it wont come back. Can you not sell some sheep or find some grass elsewhere . sorry its going to be expensive

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 06:22:43 pm »
To me they look fat and healthy. They are very pregnant but I can't feel any ribs under their fleece (although 4 are gfd's so lots of fleece to get through).

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:25:03 pm »
Any tips on how to condition score?

I was worried that my ewes maybe too fat and did have a go at condition scoring .... found brief information about feeling the spine but that felt quite bumpy but they looked very round! Is it possible to use this with Soay?  ???

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 06:35:06 pm »
JUST googled how to condition score sheep ,some good sites a gov one full description and pictures

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:33:37 pm »
Id find somewhere you can rent/borrow to put them on. If they are heavy in-lamb, you'll just have to lamb them there. I would worry if they were overfat, this can lead to probs at lambing. A grass only diet should help to rectify this.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS