Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Wormer  (Read 11747 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Pig Wormer
« on: April 16, 2012, 11:14:37 am »

What's the most cost effective way of worming a small number (3) of pigs?

Our last vet gave noromectin injections but unfortunately she's no longer coming here and the other vet only comes once a month and, to be honest, I don't really like.

What about an oral wormer?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Pig Wormer
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:49:20 am »
Personally i'd stick to the jabs as they'll work out cheaper and do a much better job. Oral womers are rubbish as you can never tell if one pig ate it all or all of them did! unless you ram it down their throats which isn't nice.
Mandy  :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:14:34 pm »
I agree with Mandy.  Injections are the best way.....you know exactly how much each one is getting.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:14:58 pm »
cost wise stick to the jabs     noromectin does internal and external parasites  the powder only does the internal parasites :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:39:35 pm »
You'll get a 50ml bottle of noromectin for around £17 online - my vets just charge the same  ;)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:52:57 pm »
Well that's pretty conclusive, folks. Thanks.

Off to vetmedsdirect.co.uk I go :)

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 10:46:31 pm »
Okay... injecting a pig.  All 100kgs of her...
When (the vet) and I last tried, it was impossible to catch our 'very' sick pig!  So we decided she was well enough to not have the jab.
How do you suggest going about it? 
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 11:23:51 pm »
Lillian can do them standing eating   you have to concider your safety and others safety  jamming it behind a gate secured to a wall  a cattle weigh crate or crush or for a 100 kilo pig a sheep weigh crate :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:40 am »
Okay... injecting a pig.  All 100kgs of her...
When (the vet) and I last tried, it was impossible to catch our 'very' sick pig!  So we decided she was well enough to not have the jab.
How do you suggest going about it? 
We do it at feed times too - if you jab them just as their head is going into the feed bucket they barely even lift their head. The trick is to have the needle pre-loaded, in your pocket with the top on the needle and try not to arouse her suspicions  ;) If you stay calm & quiet and do it quickly and without fuss she should be fine.
HTH & Good luck
Karen  :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:48:04 am »
We swear by the slapshot - a simple rubber tube that lets you get the needle in, and then at leisure squeeze the syringe.

http://www.slapshot-flex-vac.com/default.htm

available from

http://www.farmandcountrysupplies.co.uk/slapshot-flexible-vaccinator.ir?cName=farm-smallholding-medical-healthcare-needles-drenchers-pour-on-applicators-syringesgunsapplicators

£18.35 is a lot for a bit of plastic, but very little when compared with cost of medicine and saving of your sanity !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 02:30:34 pm »
Second what Robins says, we also use the slapshot
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 02:35:02 pm »
I went on a pig keeping course and they showed us how to use the slapshot. I don't yet have any pigs so haven't needed to use it but they certainly made it look easy, but then thats an expert for you  ;D.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 04:21:18 pm »
when i spoke to my vet about wormers i was given wormer in pellet form, i cant remember the name of it but it only cleared any worms on the day (not a continual wormer) then i just add diametous earth to keep them from coming back the pellets i was given was enough for 9pigs and cost £7.00 it was a lot easier than injecting this time round. i do this every 3mths

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 05:00:10 pm »
That sounds very simple. what about panacur given to sheep could pigs not have that.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 05:32:47 pm »
We did ours last week. Injected them while they ate their food. Barely a squeak out of them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS