Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: EAR TAG DAMAGE... Goats  (Read 17533 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: EAR TAG DAMAGE... Goats
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 10:43:02 pm »
As far as I know the tattoo in one ear and tag in the other is legal for goats, the problem is that the higher cost of tattooing equipment is difficult to justify for the standard small-herd goat keeper. I am starting to look into this, as I am more worried that goat ID's can be changed to so easily with tags... If I had more local goatkeepers around it would be a good piece of kit to share (with proper disinfection obviously).

However mine have so far not ripped any of their tags out or damaged their ears (the ones I tagged with SET tags that is), even though their heads still go through the fence... all the sheep have theirs still too! But I don't tag my lambs until they are all at least 6 months old.

The problem with microchipping is that goats are classified as meat that is eaten, so I think that would make it quite difficult to argue that they are safe? (and it would also be another vet job that needs to be paid for). Microchip to go into the tail?

Anke the SGF has some sets of ear markers. They used to be out positioned round the country, but not now. You can still use them, we have a set here. It is a bit of a longer and messier process than tagging- but at least they don't infect! Will speak to you at Kelso if you want to talk about tattooing in one ear. Gordon does that at the moment....

Beth

Beth

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 06:17:42 am »
There is a pocket of skin/muscle under the ear where it is proposed for the ear tag.  This would satisfy the meat chain issues as the head is removed complete with tag.
It also satisfies the regulations for hers that are on the Scrapie monitoring scheme.

I intend to submit all pictures at the end of this week to my contact who is doing the major collation work... he is in touch with the EU in Brussels.

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 10:45:59 pm »
I would be interested to know if there is any news on this?   

When I got my nanny kids last year I was, justifiably!, excited and posted pics on here and I was warned re their eartags (they were normal sheep ones and looked quite big in the little ones ears).  Unfortunately the warnings were right and both my beautiful goats now have forked ears where their tags have been ripped out. 

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 12:45:56 am »
The goat club I was a member of had a tatoo kit for members (one person would do the tatooing) it worked well, the small charge went towards club funds, that was some years ago.
I was talking to someone just a couple of days ago who tatooed one ear and tagged the other, they show goats.
one of mine has managed to break a tag so she only has the outside part, still fastened. Don't know where that leaves me legally?

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 08:48:06 am »
It all still very new to me but is not the position of the tag as much of an issue here?

most tagged animals seem to have their tags in the center of the ear where it is most vulnerable,

a friend who has kept goats for many years is doing mine for me and she puts hers on the back edge of the ear close to the head so the tag is well out of the way
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS