Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Summer paddock option - pond and fencing advice please  (Read 2120 times)

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
Summer paddock option - pond and fencing advice please
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:56:39 am »
I am working out the best way to increase my paddock area - especially for kids to play in - by fencing off the nearest part of the garden.  I can remove/destroy any dangerous plants but there is a small wildlife pond (about 12' x 8') which is 4' deep at the centre.  I'm under the impression that goats tend to avoid getting wet so will keep clear but what do you more experienced goatkeepers think?

Also, has anyone used cleft chestnut fencing rolls with goats?  A 10m roll of 4' high is about £60 so 2-3 would make a good temporary fence for summer use of lawn and could be rolled up again in winter when this area tends to get very soggy.  I have plenty of support posts available so it would not sag and invite them to vault it. 

Must get my facts straight before I suggest the idea to my husband...

miniaturesabound

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Summer paddock option - pond and fencing advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:15:41 pm »
Chestnut fencing! What a great idea. Never used it myself but hope someone will answer your question as I'm interested too.
"A stubborn horse walks behind you, an impatient horse walks in front of you, but a noble friend walks beside you"

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 02:56:13 pm »
I've just found 4' high on ebay for £27 a roll.  If no-one else has used this with goats I might give it a try and report back.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:47:09 pm »
I would just be careful if the goats are out with collars on in case the manage to get caught up on the 'spikes'?

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:24:21 am »
Good point - I'll remove collars where necessary.  My girl hasn't kidded yet (today? maybe tomorrow?) but I'm thinking ahead to provide extra kidspace for running about, especially if there are more boys than girls, as they will be bottle-fed separately and kept for meat.  All is conjecture until I can actually see how many I'm dealing with.  She is broader than she is long right now!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS