Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearing for showing  (Read 2569 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Shearing for showing
« on: April 13, 2012, 02:49:35 pm »
This is going to be our second year at some 'have-a-go-sheepshowing'  ;D   Our first show won't be until about July but I wonder when I should get the 'show' sheep sheared??    Having spoken to several people in the local feed stores this morning (and who no doubt are going to Builth Wells at the end of May), they've all sheared.....ages ago!!!!!      I just worry about them getting cold  ??? ::) ??? ::)   Advice from all those experienced showers of sheep much appreciated  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Shearing for showing
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 02:52:23 pm »
ASAP!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 04:12:46 pm »
Though just check the schedule, rules or whatever, that your breed is not shown in full fleece.  At the Royal Highland Show in late June, all Shetlands, and Hebridean ewes which have borne a lamb are shown in full fleece (Heb tups and shearling ewes are shown shorn - some people shear in Jan then house the sheep - not playing the game for primitives ::)  When we have shown (not this year - taking a break) we hand shear in early May which is just about soon enough in the case of Hebs.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 05:26:46 pm »
Some of the serious show people shear at the beginning of January and then house the sheep.    With a resident shearer on the farm I blush to admit we haven't done the show team yet and I am so slack that I haven't even made final decisions about who is in the show team yet. 

Can you card yours?  If so you will need to card hard and regularly.  It does make a significant difference.  We are aiming to have the show team in the barn by the beginning of May, shorn and in training.  Late but it will have to do as the lambing ewes come first.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 09:30:26 pm »
Greyface Dartmoors are shown in full fleece until 10th june, then shorn after that. General guidelines for shearing GFDs is not to shear before the 1st of april if not showing early, and to have all sheep (including lambs) shorn by 31st july so the lambs are woolled up enough for inspection in the autumn/winter.
Hope that helps!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:58:36 pm »
Yeay, thanks all.   Its the GFDs I'm showing and so I'll relax ever so slightly for the time being  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS