Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dagging shears  (Read 6050 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
dagging shears
« on: April 12, 2012, 09:28:09 pm »
what is the best length for dagging shears? is it down to personal preference or is it a case of the shorter the better? can anyone recommend some good ones? i was looking at some `burgon & ball` shears are they up to the job? i made the mistake of buying the cheapest pair possible previously but they are useless and the blades keep crossing over the wrong way!! ??? :thumbsup:

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: dagging shears
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:42:44 pm »
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:54:46 pm »
so that would suggest that you think the smaller shears are more appropriate for dagging? i was looking at this pair but may be to long and make it awkward? http://www.burgonandball.com/shop/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=179

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:30:52 pm »
Smaller is defiantely handier for dagging, especially if your sheep have tails. They sit tidily in your hand and are small enough that you can keep them in a handy place should you need them. For most months of the year we have a pair that sit on the dashboard of the Landrover, just in case.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:59:29 pm »
Shorter is better, long ones you can forget where the pointed end is as you're concentrating on the part that's cutting
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:20:59 am »
I agree that shorter is better especially with tails.  And that includes primitive tails in my mind as they seem capable of moving what they have at such great speeds on occasions.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 11:50:54 am »
Burgon & Ball are a good make.  The ones you are looking at j&G are for shearing where you need to take long sweeps, the stumpy ones are daggers for close, awkward work.  The blades will cross over if you let them open too much between snips - very annoying  ::) ;D  Another consideration is the top end, where you can have different configurations of the 'spring' - this is personal choice, depending on your hand size and strength, so best to try them out before buying if you can find some for sale locally.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS