Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drake and bantam both died  (Read 2579 times)

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
Drake and bantam both died
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:18:38 pm »
I'm positive now that it's coccidiosis. I went to the vet and got a tiny syringe of vecoxan to give to the dutch bantam but she died that evening. The muscovy drake has gone as well. And the vet didn't have any Baycox 2.5% in stock, they will be getting it in tomorrow. I'm pretty gutted and a bit worried as I've just had some eggs hatch in the incy. Obviously they are away from the other birds but it is still worrying. So far none of my other birds are showing any symptoms. Do I treat the whole lot as if they did have it? As they are free range and go in a pen at night won't they re-infected? I've never had this before.  :'(
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Drake and bantam both died
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:42:22 pm »
treat as if they all have it
can you get chick feed with coccidiostat in it?  the problem often occurs when they are off heat, outside & you think everything is just fine :/

they can be re-infected - keep everything, feeders, drinkers etc clean as you can, shovel up the poop off the ground, remove any slugs & snails you can see.

best of luck
:)
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 05:46:03 pm »
Oh no  :-*

Yes, feed chicks medicated chick crumbs. Ducklings can't have amprolium, which is the most common coccidiostat in crumbs.

I think coccidia are everywhere, it just depends on what dose the bird gets, what condition they are in, if it's been very wet and warmish (so the cocci breed more), how aggressive a species of cocci it is etc.
I'd get some Baycox from the vet and keep it in for now, but you may find you have no more problems. Hope so  :-*

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 06:56:51 pm »
Chick crumb with ACS inhibits growth noticably. They do catch up eventually though. But we rear ours inside on unmedicated crumb to 6 weeks. After that they are more immune to it and being strong from their earlier diet they go onto unmedicated chick crumb mixed with rearer. Coccidiosis is present everywhere so when we have a broody bringing up chicks outside they are fed on chick crumb with ACS.

The only one we have had with it was 4 weeks old and was given a crop full of natural yoghurt with probiotic as a last resort -the vet said she was terminal. Next day she was bouncing around as if nothing was wrong. She got itagain at just under 6 weeks and had the same treatment. Lucy Legbar is now 4 and a half, has been plagued with health problems but has always remained a happy girl.

Point to add here is that when introducing machine hatched to broody hatched the ones from mummy are socially inept, as she sorted out all the disputes. We introduced two mummy's girls at 12 weeks old to six at 8 weeks and they daren't come out of the coop. They were a little bigger than the 8 weekers but terrified of them. We ended up separating them and introducing them at 26 weeks. Even then they struggled a bit.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 03:33:48 pm »
The onley way is medicated crumbs .arbro ran out and i fed normal crumbs and lost some chicks.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:37:27 pm »
I can't seem to get hold of medicated chick crumbs round here but I am putting apple cider vineger in all the poultry drinkers including the chicks. I only got 20ml of Baycox from the vet so may need to go back for more. One of my other muscovy drakes is looking a bit peaky so i'll catch him and dose him tomorrow. Can Baycox go in the water or do they all have to given it individually? The vet gave me the impression that I have to give it individually. That's going to be a mammoth job.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 10:05:56 pm »
Brijjy - arent you near me?

Charlies - Welshpool ..... definitely had medicated chick crumbs for past 2 years. Must admit I havent looked this year yet. In fact I had to go to Oswestry to get some unmedicated when I wanted it last year .... non available any closer.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 10:08:01 pm »
I had a look there yesterday and couldn't see any. And the staff were all hiding, the place was packed to the rafters with people  ::) I will go to Wynnstays in Welshpool when I'm next there I think.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS