Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on Vaccinating Lambs - Suffolk area  (Read 7532 times)

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
Advice on Vaccinating Lambs - Suffolk area
« on: April 12, 2012, 11:49:02 am »
We have 8*3 week old lambs that are only here to be fattened up. Having asked a few people, have now got more questions than answers  :-\ (This is worse than asking a few beekeepers a simple question ;) )

What do you use if anything ?

Lambivac - no pasteurella cover. Available in 50ml bottles.

Ovivac P Plus - everything ? but only available in 100ml bottles.

Heptavac P Plus - everything ? Available in 50ml bottles, suitable for lambs, however Ovivac P Plus recommended for growing and store lambs  ???

All of these only have 10 hrs shelf life after opening, is this really the case ?

Any other products out there that I've missed ? (Not sure I really want that one answered  :) )

Anyone vaccinating locally to Bury St.Edmunds in the next couple of weeks ?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:16:35 pm by ZacB »

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Advice on Vaccinating Lambs - Suffolk area
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 02:09:36 pm »
We have 8*3 week old lambs that are only here to be fattened up. Having asked a few people, have now got more questions than answers  :-\ (This is worse than asking a few beekeepers a simple question ;) )

What do you use if anything ?

Lambivac - no pasteurella cover. Available in 50ml bottles.

Ovivac P Plus - everything ? but only available in 100ml bottles.

Heptavac P Plus - everything ? Available in 50ml bottles, suitable for lambs, however Ovivac P Plus recommended for growing and store lambs  ???

All of these only have 10 hrs shelf life after opening, is this really the case ?

Any other products out there that I've missed ? (Not sure I really want that one answered  :) )

Anyone vaccinating locally to Bury St.Edmunds in the next couple of weeks ?

We have found that we lose far fewer lambs since we started vaccinating them all and less poor ones as well. We always use Hetavac P Plus. Lambs get their first dose at shearing, so they are about 10 weeks old and second dose in Mid July so 4 - 6 weeks later.

Every bottle of stuff you ever buy will tell you that there is only a 10 hr shelf life once the seal has been compromised. We use an automatic injector for vaccinating which reduces the damage to the seal. Then when we have done the ones we want, remove the injector from the bottle and cover the seal tightly with clingfilm and store in the fridge. I think this is fairly common practice.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 02:25:31 pm »
Every bottle of stuff you ever buy will tell you that there is only a 10 hr shelf life once the seal has been compromised. We use an automatic injector for vaccinating which reduces the damage to the seal. Then when we have done the ones we want, remove the injector from the bottle and cover the seal tightly with clingfilm and store in the fridge. I think this is fairly common practice.

Would love to know if this is the case & common practice. At least that way if we purchased a 50ml bottle we would use 32ml of the stuff as opposed to 16ml & then have to buy a 2nd bottle for the 2nd vaccination 4 weeks later.

Anybody else care to comment?

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:53:16 pm »
We did the same, automatic injector then cover the seal and put the Hep P + in the fridge til next time.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 03:35:07 pm »
our Heptavac P is in the fridge tightly wrapped in cling film too. We only have 3 lambs and 2 sheep and having swapped the goats onto lambivac last year its literally only the 5 woollies that use it.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:36:21 pm »

Would love to know if this is the case & common practice. At least that way if we purchased a 50ml bottle we would use 32ml of the stuff as opposed to 16ml & then have to buy a 2nd bottle for the 2nd vaccination 4 weeks later.

Anybody else care to comment?

The manufacturers of these products have to write this stuff on the bottlles to cover themselves. There are very few instances where a bottle will not keep in the fridge for a while. Live vaccines (such as toxovax for example) wouldn't keep in the fridge for four weeks, but would probably be OK overnight of perhaps for 24-36 hours. You have to make a judgement regarding the cost implications of chucking away a good amount of stuff as opposed to any percieved loss in eficacy.

I know that Heptavac P is stored in fridges in this manner on farms all over the UK

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:53:19 pm »
Can anyone point me in the direction of /link to an automatic injector please?
I'm over in the UK for a few days in a couple of weeks and can buy one then.
Many thanks from a warm and sunny Brittany........................
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 10:53:09 pm »
Thans VSS - MoH is calling in at Mole Valley Farmers with a long list next week, so will get him to buy one!
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 09:11:38 pm »

We have found that we lose far fewer lambs since we started vaccinating them all and less poor ones as well. We always use Hetavac P Plus. Lambs get their first dose at shearing, so they are about 10 weeks old and second dose in Mid July so 4 - 6 weeks later. 

Is that '10 weeks' even if the ewe's had Heptavac P Plus at four weeks before lambing?

Keeping the Heptavac bottle: do you mean it could be kept from the first injection until the second 4-6 weeks later?
You are never to old to learn something new

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 08:50:16 am »
I asked my vet about this and she said that as long as the bottle is well clingfilmed and in the fridge then it will be fine for both injections. Unless there is another smallholder near you who could share, this saves money, which is always a bonus :)
VSS is that the best type to get? Being a first timer I'm a little confused with all the different kinds of things needed  :-\
Pretty new to all this sheep-keeping :) tiny smallholder since October 2011 - 4 ewes, 30+ hens and a Jack Russell :)

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 08:53:05 am »
Many thanks to everyone who has helped/advised on this matter. Will up-date with final decision but I'm thinking whatever we end up with, it will be the one bottle which will be kept in the fridge for the second jab.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:56 am »
quote; re VSS

"Every bottle of stuff you ever buy will tell you that there is only a 10 hr shelf life once the seal has been compromised. We use an automatic injector for vaccinating which reduces the damage to the seal. Then when we have done the ones we want, remove the injector from the bottle and cover the seal tightly with clingfilm and store in the fridge. I think this is fairly common practice."

If you inserted just a single needle into the bottle - keeping it there and withdraw all doses from that  fixing a second needle to inject, remove second needle , refix to the inserted needle, withdraw dose etc .....................

Can this method be classed as similiar to the damage seal limitation that an automatic injector would give? Enabling to clingfilm and use again at a later date?
ta
Sheep

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 10:11:38 am »
I should think that would be OK although obviously I can't guarantee it. Basically the less damaged there is to the seal the better it will keep.

This will apply to all medicine bottles.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS