Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can the lambs and goat kid mix?  (Read 1738 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
can the lambs and goat kid mix?
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:43:36 am »
Lots of lovely grass in the Nanny/kid paddock and not so much in the bottle lambs 'nursery area' now. Was wondering if the lambs would be able to have a little graze in there and return to their shed at night? Lambs are 6 weeks today and the kid 3 and a half weeks. Don't want to put them in the main sheep field as they are still small and will be out through the fencing in a shot I reckon!
Gut feeling is it might be a bad idea but just finding out if it is or not  :)  Lambs have had first heptavacP and are in good health as is goat kid (although he's not had any jabs/wormer yet).
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: can the lambs and goat kid mix?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:47:37 am »
Depends on the worm status of the paddock the lambs have been in so far. If they have been out grazing on a contaminated field (as in sheep on it in the last 12 months) then I wouldn't mix them. If their paddock is definitely clean, then there should be no problem.

Oh and also cocci, if these lambs are older they will have a higher level of immunity to cocci than your younger billy.... so maybe I wouldn't mix them.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: can the lambs and goat kid mix?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:51:20 am »
Thanks Anke - that's pretty much what I was worrying about.  I shall have to come up with plan B  ;)  won't be long before they can go out in the bigger field so I'm sure I can supplement hay/creep till then.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS