Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worms or something else?  (Read 4148 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
worms or something else?
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:33:27 pm »
What am I doing wrong or missing out? All sheep were wormed before the ram was introduced in late Autumn. Wormed again after lambing but some already had really messy bums. Now 4 weeks post lambing and I've not seen any improvment in the messy bum situation.

I do change the type of wormer I use each year as I'm aware of resistance. I don't have much land so struggle to put them on different grazing for 48 hours following worming. Am I doing something wrong, is this likely not to be worms? Help and advice please people
 :sheep: ???

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: worms or something else?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:38:49 pm »
Do a fecal egg count, at least that way you'll know what you are dealing with. I think they cost about a fiver to do and you can get the kits online to send away.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 01:06:02 pm »
what is your grass situation like, if its coming thru thck n fast they may need a mag bucket :)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 01:42:27 pm »
Hellybee - what's a mag bucket please??
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 01:55:43 pm »
My lush grazing often gives the sheep messy bums when they first go on it, some are more susceptible to it than others.  The grass will have a growth spurt after rain too.  If they are otherwise in good health I wouldn't worry too much, but you could do a fecal count just to put your mind at ease.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 01:57:45 pm »
Hellybee - what's a mag bucket please??

Its a hard feed bucket with added magnesium. Beetlix do one, but Id be tempted not to give sheep that are scouring because the grass is too lush anything high energy - try a rockes lick maybe.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 04:22:09 pm »
sorry That is what i mean a lick bucket :)  :wave:

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 04:49:15 pm »
thanks, where would you recommend for the egg count?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 05:35:27 pm »
My vet does em - take a small pot of mixed, fresh s**t and they do he rest, but I know that a certain "supplies for smallholders" *ahem* that posts on here does em too.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 05:39:36 pm »
Get a price from your vet and take in a small sample in a clean jam jar ( you do not need a bucket load  ;D ;D ;D).  Depending on the type of worms they may recommend a different wormer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS