Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe now rejecting lamb  (Read 5376 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Ewe now rejecting lamb
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:14:35 pm »
My ewe that lambed Tuesday seemed to be quite happy with her lambs but as she is producing very little milk I'm topping up the lambs up - I've got them inside this evening to make topping up easier and it a really miserable evening too - Anyway when I went in the ram lamb was cuddled next to mum but the ewe lamb was as far away from mum as she could get - both ewe and ewe lamb got up when I went to the pen and the ewe lamb went to try a feed but the ewe butted her away - not just a step over her, it was like she didn't want her near her at all - so to I just let the ewe out and totally bottle feed the lambs at least they would get used to me and I could get their feed right or is there and alternative - as an added note I've only bottle fed larger lamb in the past and gone off the lamblac amounts so how much less would a shetland x castlemilk take per fed or per day - thank you experts yet again
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Ewe now rejecting lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:22:03 pm »
What is it that makes you think she's producing very little milk?

She may be rejecting the lambs because the milk replacer is making them smell wrong.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:24:57 pm »
I discovered she had a lot of mastitis scar tissue - suggested on here and confirmed by conversation to the vet and the lambs are always trying to feed, constantly I would almost say - I had suspected the lamblac could have cause this but I am feeding both!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:30:45 pm »
Ah, I remember now, sorry (lambing brain fog).

Can you tie her up so that she can't butt the ewe lamb when she feeds? Hopefully she'll settle down again. Sheep are the most maddening creatures at times.

In terms of how much milk replacer to feed, I make it the right strength and then feed every 3 hours to begin with and basically let them take what they want.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 09:43:09 pm »
Thanks Jaykay - I'll see what tomorrow brings and maybe when they're out on grass, running about she mistake one for the other - here's hoping

PDO_Lamb

• Joined May 2011
    • Briggs' Shetland Lamb
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:56:42 pm »
I agree about the powdered milk changing the smell of the Lamb. Sounds like the ewe might only have milk for one lamb so it might be easier to bottle feed the ewelamb and keep it as a spare to foster if you have The mis-fortune to end up with milk ewe with no lamb.
Each year my New Year resolution is no kaddies but when the time comes I can't resist them. This year I have 4 out of the 100 Sheland Lambs born last week.
How, is your pup coming along?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 04:24:22 pm »
I feel imcomplete with out a mollylamb each spring. we have four :D

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 04:53:01 pm »
try taking both lambs from the ewe and putting them together in a small box for a while to get them smelling the same. when you put them back to feed start with the one that has been rejected and distract the ewe with something tasty. No guarantees

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 05:23:32 pm »
Richard - Zip is a monster, only joking, he's a sweetheart, he's learning every day and is bright eyed and bushy tailed its amazing - I'm just plodding away with him.

The ewe - well things have turned around, maybe I did rush in a bit to top them up and upset the balance a bit, new surrounding for the ewe in the shed, just given birth, tired etc - we have a total turnaround, she's out all day in a wee paddock and the lambs are skipping about feeding same amount but quite often, she stands at the shed door when she wants in for her tea and I top up the lambs and when she has her breakfast I top them up too. Only a small amount at the moment - but I was thinking in the long run if she didn't produce enough milk as they get bigger appetite's then we have a back up plan in place - their not too keen on the bottle but to take it - so far so good.

Shrekfeet - I note that one for the future

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 06:04:08 pm »
Oh good, that's sounding more positive  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS