Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Summer apples - and a long fruiting season  (Read 2714 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Summer apples - and a long fruiting season
« on: April 11, 2012, 07:50:57 am »
Last year my neighbour was giving me a light yellow apple ( by the bucket) in June/July. She simply called it a summer apple. My daughter and I were still collecting her different apples ( off a dry lawn) on the 19th December and we picked her Kiwi in late November.

The neighbour is 83 and fills her store with apples.

My point is that for every fruit she has there are 3 varieties that fruit in succession. How clever -Imagine what a pain it is with a glut of cherries from 3 trees - her just kept flowing. She could reap a full harvest and spread the work rather than struggle with a very heavy mincrop ( that said we made cider and fed the pigs with her mass of apples) 
I think I will document her fruit yield in my diary this year .

Anyone hear of the "summer apple" that fruits so early.?
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Summer apples - and a long fruiting season
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:08:26 am »
Not in the UK, where Discovery seems to be the earliest cropping variety.

Can you post a photo when you start to get this year's crop please, would be really interested to have it identified!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:23:32 am »
Yes will post a photo as soon as the "summer apples" are ready.
Just to say that we do have very cold but short winters here and locals delay the start of the planting season because of late frost.  So the apple tree must have a very vigorous Early growth and the taste and texture of the apple seemed like a normal autumn apple. Odd
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 03:04:52 pm »
could you not take a cutting? or graft a scion on to one of your trees?

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 04:09:56 pm »
is it a cooker or a sweet apple? if it is a cooker it could be arthur turner, they claim it is ready here end of july.
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 05:30:01 pm »
Sweet apple - we have never seen a cooker here in France - There is a market we go to who sell an enormous variety of apple and pear - all shapes, colours and sizes but no obvious cooker.
Let me know if you know of a name of apple in France equivalent to our Bramley or similar.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS