Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep milking on one side only  (Read 2602 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
sheep milking on one side only
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:50:12 pm »
Hi - please does anyone have any advice?  We have a sheep who lambed 2 days ago, plenty of milk on one side but the other side does not produce.  There is no sign of waxy plug and manipulation doesn't seem to help.  We are quite used to milking sheep but cannot get anything from this side.  It is engorged but not hot, so hope its not mastitis yet. Is there anything we can do to help sort this?  She has twins which we are topping up from the bottle. Many thanks in advance.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: sheep milking on one side only
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:11:30 pm »
If you bought her in from someone and she has lambed before I suspect she has had mastitis in the past and now has a blind quarter. I have had ewes like this and they have raised 2 lambs on one quarter very well.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 10:16:52 pm »
We had a ewe with mastitis on one side and she raised healthy twins.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:43 am »
Thank you for your replies, these were my mothers sheep so if there had been a history of mastitis - she wouldn't be still in the flock! She responded to a little massage last night and my son managed to get a tiny bit of milk from that side, so we are going to try to continue with this.  However if anyone has any tips they will be gratefully received!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:27:32 am »
That's what to do, as often as you can manage.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS