Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted Allotment- Central Scotland  (Read 4770 times)

Hazeyg

• Joined Apr 2012
Wanted Allotment- Central Scotland
« on: April 10, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »
Hi There,

I live in west lothian council who have informed me they have no council allotments, does anyone know of any alternative ways to get my hands on an allotment anywhere in central scotland?

robert waddell

Re: Wanted Allotment- Central Scotland
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 01:06:32 pm »
how far do you want to travel and where in wet lothian are you :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 01:11:41 pm »
how far do you want to travel and where in wet Lothian are you :farmer:
;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:13:24 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hazeyg

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:17:02 pm »
To be fair anywhere in central scotland is pretty wet. Ha ha! Willing to travel within 40miles possibly a little more if the right spot comes up :).
I'm in bathgate and apparently the council have no allotments - I tried them already :(

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:35:33 pm »
i think you asked the wrong lackey winchburgh has allotments bridgend has big allotments run by the council but is owned by lord rosebery   i am sure i have seen others as well      the big fear if you try for a plot of land is the unsightliness that can develop and the possibility of trying to get development :farmer:

Hazeyg

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:46:41 pm »
Hmmmm.....I wonder why they told me there was no allotments at all. Anyidea how to get in touch or get on a waiting list?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 08:33:13 pm »
My cousin just got one in Dunblane but she's had to wait three years!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:52:53 pm »
if it were me i would go to the allotments ask anybody that is there who to get in touch with
winchburgh ones are easy they are at the side of the main road  kirkliston end
bridgend ones are right at the end of bridgend south end :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:00:10 pm »
Try contacting the Scottish Allotment Gardeners Society - SAGS - google them. I'm sure they will be able to help. If there are none in your area and there is sufficient demand, your local authority is legally obliged to act. Carnoustie got its first allotments five years ago.

Hazeyg

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 09:28:22 pm »
Yeah apparently there is demand and its "under discussion" but I can see rumours of this from 2009.
I think I might just do that and drive out to them and see if I can speak to someone. Is the weekend best to find people?

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 10:07:29 pm »
You could always be one of those uban gardeners who dig up public bits of land and plant stuff...there are also people who do not want all thier garden...cannot remember the sight but some one on here recomended them....In fact, sould you not post a wanted add localy!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 10:32:42 pm »

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:56 pm »
There was another site too that had things like garages for rent and houses to let as well as people wanting to let out thier garden, there were local people on it too...not sure if I saw it on here or twitter!! going to keep me awake thinking now but I was after something like that ages ago!!

Hazeyg

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 12:09:05 pm »
Thank you very much for the info everyone- I shall have a look at those websites and see if I can find something- didnt know these sort of things even existed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS