Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not exactly text book  (Read 2597 times)

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Not exactly text book
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:46:05 pm »
I have been feeling down because I lost a set of triplets during the bad weather but this morning has taught me that however hard we try to do things right there is always a ewe somewhere who hasn't read the text books.

We are just about through lambing the main bunch although we still have a friend's Shropshire shearlings and a couple of Blacks to go.  And then there are our 7 Shetlands. 

I checked them all over carefully yesterday.  I wasn't convinced that one was in lamb despite the fact that they are due round about now. 

They were checked at 6 am this morning and no one showed any signs of lambing.  Another check at 8 am revealed a happy bunch who seemed to have everything on their minds other than lambing.  One in particular was happily attacking the feed bucket.

Up the fields to feed the ewes and lambs up there and check on the rams.  Small delay while one errant ram lamb was removed from the rams field and returned to his mother.

Back into the yard by about 10 am.  Quick chat with friend about his sheep.  Stunned husband arrives to announce "there is a very pretty Shetland lamb in the stable".  Rush to the stable to find a stunning Grey Katmoget, completely dry and suckling happily from the ewe who clearly doesn't read the right books, left me doubtful she was even in lamb yesterday, had no udder yesterday and was attacking a feed bucket at 8 am this morning.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Not exactly text book
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 01:12:17 pm »
What a lovely tale - congratulations  :thumbsup:
All we need now is a picture  ;D

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 01:27:41 pm »
My shetlands are the masters of disguise when it comes to lambing. One girl who could barely waddle around with a huge bag I penned at night for a week before she finally lambed after 2 others suprised me with lambs.It's been cold again here so -15 at night and lots of snow again so really bad if they don't get in the barn to lamb. While I'm running checking them. most of them will always look at me casually as to say nothings going on here, right up to the point of contractions so obvious that they have to lay down and the tip of the feet and nose are showing!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:39:29 pm »
AHHHH ....... good to hear this. Was worried my Soay werent reading the right books. The ones that have lambed so far have shown very few of the early lambing signs that I have read about - no foot scraping, no star gazing, no panting and have stayed with the flock or very close until they were about 2 minutes from actual lambing. They have then made their way to the shelter and by the time I have got there have delivered the lamb - thats just the time taken to pull on wellies and coat! I have been watching them like a hawk ..... it really is difficult to tell that they are any different to normal.

Think I ve watched too much Lambing Live.  ::)

Hope the last three follow the same pattern.  :D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:52:08 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Smiled when I read this.

Due to bad weather we've been trying to separate the mums from the mums-to-be so that the lambs can get access to a bit more shelter.

This morning - trying to shift one mum-to-be out of the mums area. She finally relented - trotted into the desired field after the bucket and promptly had a lamb ten minutes later.

I felt sooooo guilty. ::) ::)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:58:56 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 03:14:58 pm »
Oh bless her   ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS