Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Still waiting...  (Read 12943 times)

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
Still waiting...
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:23:11 am »
3 of my girls were due around the start of last week and are all pawing the ground alot. I'm spending an increasing amount of time lying on the ground looking at them but still nothing. My Jacob who is due this week spends most of the time away from the others and has a big udder but, after investigating on advice of vet, nothing. How long after a due date can they go? I'm beginning to think they will wait for my birthday on Thursday then all go at once, to give me a nice present :) although knowing them I will get covered in every unpleasant thing imaginable just before I go out  ::)
Pretty new to all this sheep-keeping :) tiny smallholder since October 2011 - 4 ewes, 30+ hens and a Jack Russell :)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Still waiting...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:55:19 am »
Well ...... my daughter reckons some of ours are going to pop or float away like hot air balloons!   ;D

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:03:21 pm »
I'm beginning to think that too especially my favourite ewe maggie! She is huuuge  :o the rain is coming down in buckets today so this could be what they were waiting for  :)
Pretty new to all this sheep-keeping :) tiny smallholder since October 2011 - 4 ewes, 30+ hens and a Jack Russell :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:06:29 pm »
Is their due date calculated by scanning or from when the tup went in?

Remember - a watched pot never boils.  Turn your back (or go out for your birthday meal) and they'll pop  ::) :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 12:12:43 pm »
You need to say loudly, so they can hear ' I think I'll go for a nap' or 'I'll go and get a shower and changed into my smart clothes so I can go out to the shops'...... and then I'm sure they'll lamb  ;)

I'm about to try it on mine, who should be starting again tomorrow <fingers crossed>

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:26:09 pm »
Fleecewife it was from the tup going in so I'm probably waaay off ::)
That's definitely what I will do, say I'm going to get warm and dry out of the sleet/snow. Hopefully they will listen as they usually don't unless "tea time" is mentioned!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 02:36:20 pm »
Fleecewife it was from the tup going in so I'm probably waaay off ::)

Yep - the lambs will be spread over however many weeks he was in.  We often have one ewe who lambs on the first possible day, clearly from a 'yippee' moment, then the rest dither and drag it out to the very last possible day.  Our first lamb was on Mar 31st then none til a couple of days ago.  Endless two-hourly checks with the very occasional 'aha - a lamb' just to keep us on our toes.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 02:46:17 pm »
First one lambed 30th March (no joy there, little family died :'( ) and now i'm waiting not quite patiently for the rest. Feeling a bit low after my very first lambing turned out to be a bad start even though the vet said I did what was needed, couldn't do anymore. I know that after the next lot are here they will cheer me up  :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:20:20 am »
Have you got any more yet?
I am still waiting .......

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 10:47:30 am »
I hope things go well,wev got 15 this week just waiting,

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:52:49 am »
I have started (last year for the first time) to raddle the tups, it helps so much to be able to calculate who is due when and who doesn't need to be watched for another couple of weeks... especially if you only have a few ewes.

Of course this works better on white sheep than on coloured ones...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:12:23 am »
Still waiting too ....... three of the ewes that I thought would be first due to their size.

Will raddle next year. How close to their due date do they usually arrive?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:34:46 am »
Oh, I raddled mine and wrote down the day they were tupped too. I know exactly when they should be due - yesterday, today...... just that they haven't been taking any notice  :D

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 11:39:38 am »
Ahhhh ...... thats what I feared because these ere soay havent looked closely enough at my picture guide to stages of lambing and wondered whether they would be at all bothered about a bit of raddle and supposed due date. ;D

If they can be a week out or whatever Id still be doing my constant checks and it wouldnt be all that different to now!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 11:41:23 am »
I think they are usually only a day or so out.

I am going to go and say that very loudly to the ewe who should have lambed yesterday  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS