Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Losing my nerve  (Read 11782 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: Losing my nerve
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 10:22:04 pm »
Lol, that happened to me once when I was walking with a big rucksack on  :D

I wondered when/where I'd seen my ram stuck on his back before, then realised it was me, circa 2007 stuck in a bog on Dartmoor (racing) with 55lbs on my back; cold, wet, tired and thoroughly miserable.

Good times.

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 08:48:59 pm »
Well Dors lambed this afternoon - bitterly cold day typically! Last checked on her lunchtime, 2 hours later drive past and see a lamb under her! Sadly she'd had 2 and one was clearly dead - not sure which she'd had first? Dead lamb looked ok but kidneys and most innards were out - there weren't any crows around when I got to the field but assume (???) this was damage from them. The dead lambs head and front legs were still covered in mucus/sac. I'm way too inexperienced to hazard a guess as to what went wrong.

But her live lamb seems ok - been feeding, mum v protective, plenty of baaing at each other, the lambs even been trying to bound around! Fingers crossed it thrives. Think it's a girl? Is this as straightforward as it seems?! Lol

My other not-pregnant/pregnant ewe is going crazy at the new lamb but keeps going over to where we found the dead lamb and pawing the ground, lying on the spot and bleating like crazy. Odd hormonal behaviour! Mx

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 09:09:09 pm »
Good news one survived. It's pretty obvious if it's a boy, their balls are quite big - nothing dangling, it's a girl  :)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 09:22:46 pm »
Lol - I thought as much but as nothing else as been the bleeding obvious so far I thought i'd ask!!

Mx
twitter - @southscouse

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 09:27:54 pm »
I hope not but could the dead lamb have belonged to the other ewe? It might explain her behaviour. I hope not and that she goes on to have her own. So glad you have a happy bouncy lamb?

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2012, 09:31:13 pm »
Do u know, I thought that. She's pretty approachable and had a good (novicey) look at her but there's absolutely no evidence she'd given birth. But she remains pretty 'loud' and obsessed with her mates new lamb!

Mx
twitter - @southscouse

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 09:44:03 pm »
Read that if they are close to giving birth they can be obsessed by newborn lambs.

My last ewe was desperate to get into the other paddock where the lambs are and was calling to them in a loud and distressed fashion - just before giving birth herself.

Look at the thread I started about lambs being born in their bags-the reply from VSS  maybe the answer (regarding multiple births).

Glad you have one healthy lamb  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS