Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: making a semi firm chevre type goats cheese?  (Read 5400 times)

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
making a semi firm chevre type goats cheese?
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:37:54 pm »
Hi all,

well the topic name says it all, Im looking for a recipe to make the chevre type goats cheese, you know the log type cheese they sell in the supermarket.
I milk my own goats and make unpasturised cheese but it always seems to be soft cheese, no matter how long I let it hang or leave it in the moulds.  Dont get me wrong it is lovely but I'd love to get the same texture and taste as the chevre type.  Id like to be able to shape it into small balls and put it in oil to keep it a little longer, or just to be able to make a log shape and roll it in black pepper etc.

(I know chevre is a generic term for goats cheese but hopefully ye will understand the type Im talking about  ;D)

So if any of ye have a recipe/technique for this cheese, Id be very grateful for some advice :bouquet:

Brid  :goat:

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: making a semi firm chevre type goats cheese?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:18:12 pm »
I have seen two different log shaped goats cheese in supermarkets, one is more like a mould ripened camebert type cheese that I presume you don't mean. The other is a bit like a cheese we made recently using a starter from Moorland cheese supplies that is called chevre. It is really easy to make - we pasteurised the milk then cooled it to the temperature for adding the starter (on their website) and then left it at room temperature which would have been less than the temperature recommended, but it worked. Once it had obviously made curds we strained it through cheese cloth and that's it.

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:36:09 pm »
Hi

I've just joined the forum as I have a cheese question of my own, but I spotted this one.  I make a simple semi-hard goat's cheese which I can roll in cracked black pepper, chives or mix with wild garlic to produce a "Boursin" like spreadable cheese.  I'm actually in the middle of writing a blog post on how to do it so I'll post the link when it's done.

In the meantime here is a pic

Sharon

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:50:21 pm »
Hi

No it wouldn't be the mould ripened one Hopewell, I need to crawl at the cheesemaking before I can walk,  ;D
I know of the moorelands one you were talking about but would you have to buy a new starter for every cheese you make or do as I do and make up a litre batch and freeze it and defrost the starter as you need it?

Smithycraft, that looks lovely, it is the boursin type one I would love to make, when you get a chance can you send me a link to the blog, thanks a million  :bouquet:

Brid

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:02:57 pm »
The Moorlands chevre cheese starter comes in a packet of 5 sachets - 1 sachet to 1 gallon of milk, so no need to make up a starter and then freeze it.

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 07:05:29 pm »
At long last I've finished my post on how I make lightly pressed goat's cheese which is great when combined with wild garlic.

Here's the link

http://www.smithycraft.co.uk/smithyblog/?p=1262

Sharon

littlebickley

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 07:17:49 pm »
Hello

I am interested in how to make any kind of goats cheese in the kitchen.  I have 3 golden guernseys (so adorable!!) and am about to have two milking at once.  Everybody asks me, "Do you make cheese?" and I have to say, "No1".  I would like to be able to make the Capricorn type cheese as well as the softer Boursin type.

I am keen to try your recipe smithy craft so thanks for sharing.

Where is the best place to buy starters and molds etc and how do you deal with making only smaller quantities?

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:52:51 pm »
I have bought from eBay in the past but I also use Goat Nutrition

http://gnltd.co.uk/

and I've found them very helpful with any questions plus the delivery is quick.

They sell small bottles of rennet which is useful as I find my rennet is usually out of date before I've got halfway through a bottle and the starter packet is the perfect size for me.  I only have one goat in milk at present, about 2 litres a day.

I tend to make moulds from containers I find at charity shops and my husband drills holes for drainage.

Sharon

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:41:33 am »
Sharon

Can I ask what temp I should warm it up to if I have kept the previous days milking overnight in the fridge and also who many drop of rennet to add, just want to make sure I get the method correct each time

Thanks for the recipe  :bouquet:

Bríd

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 03:43:12 pm »
I don't actually heat it at all.  If I take it out of the fridge I would leave it a while to maybe reach room temperature.

As far as rennet is concerned, I try to use around 4-5 drops diluted in previously boiled and cooled water, but sometimes my hand slips!

When the curd is forming I find it's much firmer when sat on the rack above my ancient Rayburn which is on all the time but it still forms if I leave it in my chilly utility room.

I hope it works out for you and would love to see some pics of your cheese.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS