Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: calcium injection  (Read 4637 times)

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
calcium injection
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:53:28 pm »
Is there any benefit to giving calcium as a preventative of hypocalcaemia in the final weeks of gestation? I have a thin ewe and its likely that I will be hand rearing her lamb she has no meat on her at all but I'm just wondering if I can prevent any problems in the run up to lambing. I reckon she is around three weeks off lambing.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: calcium injection
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:21:49 pm »
Can't you just feed her up a bit (not too much, don't want a massive lamb)? I've had really bony ewes rear twins just fine - they were probably putting all their energy into making milk. If she isn't showing the clinical signs for anything, I wouldn't treat her, just let her get on with it and see how she does.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 03:35:31 pm »
Hi, shes been with an older ewe on good grazing with a supplement since end of december in that time she hasn't gained any weight just a baby bump. She eats as much as she wants no more ( pellets left in the dish)  she has very little muscle has been checked over by the vet has been wormed fluked vaccinated...... ummm not sure what else to do she is three. there is a concern over underlying disease and I intend to hand rear the lamb and see if she can regain her weight as I would not like to lose her. If she fails to regain her weight after lambing then I may have to start to think of other potential nasties but for the moment she remains well just very thin ( really she looks very poor despite the best of care) the weight appeared to drop very suddenly ( within six weeks )

I guess I'm just worried she might struggle more as the bump gets bigger.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:48:33 pm »
One of my Wilts always looks bony, still reared twins last year. If she seems healthy otherwise Id just let her do her thing and worry if/when something happens.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:52:26 pm »
A calcium injection will do no harm at all Kanisha. Better safe than sorry and better now than when you're on the verge of possibly losing her. Much more of a gamble then. I advise you to go for it AND feed her up a bit.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 08:05:38 pm »
thanks both will reassess in the morning the weather forcast isn't good I may bring her in for a few days and keep a closer eye on her.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 08:06:01 pm »
But then you've stressed the ewe by getting her in, handling her etc. Unless there is something actually wrong its better for the animal not to stress it.

Edited to add: response was to penwardine. Kanisha posted in the meantime.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 08:24:07 pm »
Yes I agree that bringing her in will stress her the catching her up shouldn't its a pretty relaxed affair to pen her. ( just shut the gate) At this point she could go either way but I will reassess before making any decision to bring her in.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 10:04:55 pm »
I agree with Steve hants, I have some fat and some thinner ewes, so long as they are healthy I am not worried. I have one ewe with no teeth and even she has a good lamb! The ewe should be fine with rearing the lamb so long as she gets extra rations, does not have to compete for food and does not milk 'off her back'  To take the lamb away I think would be a bit hard on her and could cause more stress and that could be the worse case senario. I must say I personally find ouessants very uncomplicated as far as lambing problems are concerned and have never had to give any magnesium nor calcium and am very low input with them. I only feed a handful of cake per sheep per day for last 6 weeks of pregnancy and first couple of weeks of lactation.
In the past I have had some right old bags of bones raise good lambs and concluded its like people some are fat and some are thin....!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 10:16:41 pm »
Keep an eye on her but don't stress her unnecessarily - that in itself can cause ewes on the edge to collapse.

Has she got access to a lick bucket?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 06:43:53 am »
Hi She has access to a mineral block lick buckets don't seem to be available here. I gues if it was her normal condition I wouldn't worry but she usually carries her pregnancy very well so yes she is well in herself but that she is so thin is not normal. I will hand feed lamb but lamb will remain with the ewe if the lamb prefers to take from mum then so be it. Val I am not used to ewes in such poor condition and given the choice with her current state she would not be in lamb  but she wasn't like this when she went in with the ram. For me we are beyond thin and she is breaking down muscle that cannot be healthy desite her good appetite and apparent lack of clinical symptoms.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 02:28:18 pm »
Ok so I'm sitting on my hands..................... for the moment!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS