Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New and looking for advice  (Read 12755 times)

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
New and looking for advice
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:10:50 pm »
hi  :wave:

I'm looking to get a couple of weaners, i fancy either GOS x Tamworths or pure Kune Kunes unless anyone has other suggestions?  I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for the new pig keeper, or tips.  I know i have to register as a pig keeper prior to getting them but is there other paperwork other than movement forms that i need to be aware of?  Any advice on general care would be well recieved too

robert waddell

Re: New and looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:43:03 pm »
big difference betwean traditional pigs and kunnies  you have to be registered with e aml prior to collecting them
i think trading standards have to be informed to check your premises and where you store there food  ts used to deal with the paper work  not now :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:22:12 am »
You'll need a holding no. first if you don't have one, this tells the authorities you're keeping a farmed animal.

Then you'll need a herd no. for your pigs. 

Finally moves are now electronic.  In E&W you'll need to register with the e-aml2 system, in Scotland with Scot-eid

You'll also need to keep a movement register that must be updated within 36 hours of a move, and a medical records book to show what medicines (if any) have been given to your pigs. 

South of the border, you do not need to specifically tell trading standrads, but as Robert says you should store your feed away from possible contamination such not bext to pesticides, and keep stored food rodent proof.

As a pig keeper ypu'll also come under a myriad of other rules and regulations, such as the Water Regulations 1999, governing how you connect your pig's water to the water system and notification therefof and if making a profit these can include silly things such as doing an annual ladder inspection report!  However don't panic,  everyone in every walk of life breaks a mass of minor regulations everyday without being aware of it, and if you are sensible then you should be ok.

On breed go for what you like the look of, everyone has their favorites.

As for general care - get a good book [advert warning] such as ours, or go on a course to get a real feel for how to set up and care for your pigs [advert warning off].

Pigs are really fun to keep, so enjoy your new venture

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:27:29 am »
Holz,
I'm not sure where you are but for Wales, Carmarthenshire at least, I found out last week that they won't give you a pig herd number until 1-2 weeks before you are actually due to get them.
CPH you can get no problem.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:36:48 am »
Ditto what everyone else says  ;)
I think that Kunekune's do best when they have plenty of space and grass (certainly no less than half an acre) the pork is fantastic and the pigs are easy to keep and manage. But Tammies are excellent too  :thumbsup: The pig forum has loads of info as does the main TAS page and the Scottish Pig Keepers Association website  ;)
Good luck & keep us posted  :thumbsup:

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 01:51:40 pm »
hi bionic after your advice last week about pigs iphoned carmarthen and i have now got my pig/herd number to go with cph,my pigs are coming in may. what is the e-aml2 ? do i need this to buy my weaners , they will be going to slaughter once fat enough

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 01:55:49 pm »
Rockstar,
I don't yet have any pigs but I think the e-aml2 is the electronic movements form.  If I understand it correctly this will be initiated by the seller.

I think the e-aml2 needs to be completed when the weaners are moved to your land and again when they go to slaughter.

I am sure someone who can advise further will be along shortly.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 02:01:47 pm »
thanks bionic. i see you are looking for some weaners, the lady im having mine off is nr brecon they are gos,

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 03:05:33 pm »
Thanks guys, this is all great advice!!  I'm in North west scotland, in the remote highlands, so unless i travel quite big distances, finding a specific breed may be difficult,  but i'm certainly searching!!  I have my CPH number, so i now have to get a herd number for them (prior to buying them?) and register with the e-aml thing....why do i need to tell trading standards? I was trying to read up on the rules on the scottish governments site, but it all seems a bit confusing for a novice so your help is much appreciated.  Do your pigs have ear tags or tattoos, or slap mark - that bit confused me a little as i assume they only need one identifier? but someone told me the slaughter house won't take them without the slapmark = is this correct?

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 03:27:44 pm »
the other thing i was hoping someone could do is give me a rough guide as to how much you think it costs to feed mr pig from weaning to slaughter - i know they need 1lb of feed a day per month etc....but how would you say that equates into ££ - obviously i understand different feeds cost different amounts etc, i just want a rough guide (to prove to my OH that it won't break the bank  ::)  )

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 05:55:35 pm »
Rockstar - you are correct that the seller now initiates an electronic movement.

Holz, as you are in Scotland then you will use the quite simple Scot-eid rather than the e-aml2 that is for England & Wales (E&W).

As far as I am aware you don't need to tell TS in Scotland, but Robert may know better as he raised this, you definately don't need to for E&W.

You can move live pigs under 1 year old on a "temporary mark" usually a stock paint mark, and typically most people will sell them this way.  Some breeders will tag weaners, and this used to be fine for Scotland.  However they have now harmonised with the rest of the UK who from 2007 had different rules to Scotland, and now these are unified technically they need your herdmark on them when they go to slaughter, so having a tag with the breeders herdmark on them doesn't help you. 

To go to slaughter you either need one eartag with your herd no. or two slapmarks - one on each shoulder.  However some abattoirs insist on slapmarks, some are happy with either, if you come back to the forum with your nearest abattoir, a forum member may be able to help you.  Otherwise before you buy tagging or slapmarking equipment, you'll need to check.  Tattoos can be used, and are used for some breeds to ensure that they are pedigree.  They are not used for slaughter as most if not all abattoirs will not accept them as they need to start handing and cleaning pigs ears to see the number, which obviously they are not keen to do.

On feeding costs etc.  we have worked examples in our book that show costs.  Someone on here might have costings they are happy to share.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:57:48 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 06:14:27 pm »
just talking to a new pig keeper today  and yes trading standards were involved with him
but he was starting from scratch
also they have changed the paper copy and probably the puter one as well  to include the cph of birth of the pig
this is in Scotland :farmer:

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 08:06:04 pm »
guys....someone very close to home got in touch today to say they have 2 Kunekune x Tamworth/wild boar.......i don't want to rush but at the same time i don't want to miss out, and these piglets are ready now.  I emailed about getting a herd number earlier today so hope to get a response tomorrow, if not i will phone the office.  Could i tag them (assuming they're not already tagged) with my herd number although i haven't bred them?  My nearest slaughterhouse is in Dingwall, inverness-shire..

p.s - whats your books title, or can you pm me the details about it?

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 09:00:16 pm »
i can appreciate your logistic problems     these piglets could appear to fit what you want  it really is up to you whether you buy them or wait for something else
with tagging them if the breeder has tagged them they are supposed to be re tagged by every owner that buys them until there death and it is illegal to remove tags already fitted yet pedigree pigs retain the tag allocated by the breeder      pigs are the only animal that has this weired anomaly all others retain there original identity :farmer:

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 09:29:37 pm »
so if he's not tagged them, and i do, then i take them to slaughter then that should satisfy them? no tattoo or slap required?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS