Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cost to have electricity and water run to some land?  (Read 32792 times)

oilybob

• Joined Apr 2012
Cost to have electricity and water run to some land?
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:48:13 pm »
Hi

I am looking to buy some land with the intentsion of living and working on it, i have done many searches but cannot find anywhere a rough price for having electricity and water run to a feild, can anyone help me?

The prices i have seen so far are ranging from £17,000 to £70,000 i was expecting around £10,000, this has the potential to stop my plans before they have even started!!

Dose anyone know if i can get the power company to run the power to the edge of the feild then i will run it up to the property and outbuildings?

Rob

Bangbang

Re: Cost to have electricity and water run to some land?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:04:44 pm »
5 years ago we got Hydroelectric to run 300m line poled and 50m underground for
our property. Total cost £10,500.

Water supply is a bore hole. fittings / installation approx £3.500

The quote we got to have the powerline all underground (350m) was £15,000
The size of transformer needed for that distance had a big impact on the price.

You might save money by digging the track  but your supplier would control connections.

oilybob

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:09:14 pm »
5 years ago we got Hydroelectric to run 300m line poled and 50m underground for
our property. Total cost £10,500.

Water supply is a bore hole. fittings / installation approx £3.500

The quote we got to have the powerline all underground (350m) was £15,000
The size of transformer needed for that distance had a big impact on the price.

You might save money by digging the track  but your supplier would control connections.

Thanks for the information that makes me feel better, as for the bore hole what are the limitations on usage?

rob

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:57:24 pm »
it is all a bit up in the air is it not
do you own a field yet     will you get permission for all your ideas if you can buy a field    how far from the power line is the property is it single phase or 3 phase then water the same scenario  the distance from these services is where the major cost is  if the power cables has to come through somebody Else's land will they give permission and have you even contacted them
just because you buy a field does not give entitlement to what you want     you have to be realistic   some councils encourage sporadic development other block them at every turn :farmer:

oilybob

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:09:47 pm »
it is all a bit up in the air is it not
do you own a field yet     will you get permission for all your ideas if you can buy a field    how far from the power line is the property is it single phase or 3 phase then water the same scenario  the distance from these services is where the major cost is  if the power cables has to come through somebody Else's land will they give permission and have you even contacted them
just because you buy a field does not give entitlement to what you want     you have to be realistic   some councils encourage sporadic development other block them at every turn :farmer:

I totaly under stand those points which is why this is reaserch, i am in contact with my local planning department and submit plans monthly on different plots of land that become available to see what their feedback is. I am looking for land at the moment and that is why i have been asking lots of questions so i can try and finds some that will fit as many of my requirements as possible. If i could i would not bother having mains power run and be 100% re-newable but i dont think it is achivable where i am.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:26:27 pm »
Are you submitting planning applications on land you don't own?  That must be costing a lot of money.  I am currently trying to get permission for a plot I have actually owned since 1984, and due to neighbour objections so far it has cost me in the region of £6000 - consultant, architect, lawyer, environment surveys, arboricultural survey, road survey, porosity tests, water flow test, water quality test, neighbour notifications and newspaper adverts.  Each new application after refusal alone costs £300 or so.  And every time a neighbours comes up with a new objection we have a different survey to do.  One said they had seen a red squirrel - so we had to do a survey to see if the trees had any sign of squirrels feeding or nesting.  One said he'd seen a badger, so we had to do a  survey to see if there were any signs of that.  If I still lived there they wouldn't have dared say all these things as I'd have confronted them!  Because they object on those grounds we have to check them out.  I daren't think what they are going to come up with now the third application has gone in.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

oilybob

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:30:35 pm »
Are you submitting planning applications on land you don't own?  That must be costing a lot of money.  I am currently trying to get permission for a plot I have actually owned since 1984, and due to neighbour objections so far it has cost me in the region of £6000 - consultant, architect, lawyer, environment surveys, arboricultural survey, road survey, porosity tests, water flow test, water quality test, neighbour notifications and newspaper adverts.  Each new application after refusal alone costs £300 or so.  And every time a neighbours comes up with a new objection we have a different survey to do.  One said they had seen a red squirrel - so we had to do a survey to see if the trees had any sign of squirrels feeding or nesting.  One said he'd seen a badger, so we had to do a  survey to see if there were any signs of that.  If I still lived there they wouldn't have dared say all these things as I'd have confronted them!  Because they object on those grounds we have to check them out.  I daren't think what they are going to come up with now the third application has gone in.

BIGFOOT!!

We are not subbmitting planning aplications we are submitting enquires which they reply to within ten days with a report of their initial thoughts. its not gosple but its a good indication as to there thoughts.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 08:32:27 pm »
Sorry, I'm not clear, what do you mean 'bigfoot'?  The word NIMBY was mentioned by my architect and planning consultant.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:45:35 pm »
i think oilybob is trying to give your potential neighbours the basis for there next objection  does the council not see what they are at  cos i sure can :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 10:08:16 pm »
Yes, Robert, we know what they are at - even the planning officer said it - but if they raise an objection we have to check it out.  I still don't understand the term bigfoot I'm afraid.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 10:31:26 pm »
bigfoot=yeti    does that ring any bells annie :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 10:32:19 pm »
No.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 10:41:42 pm »
''Because they object on those grounds we have to check them out.  I daren't think what they are going to come up with now the third application has gone in''

i think oily bob was just making a joke, suggesting maybe the neighbours will find evidence of bigfoot, to hamper your application.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 10:44:11 pm »
Ah, I see.  yes I wouldn't put it past them.  Even one I thought was a friend.  It is so sad.

montana

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 12:03:53 pm »
Hi

I am looking to buy some land with the intentsion of living and working on it, i have done many searches but cannot find anywhere a rough price for having electricity and water run to a field, can anyone help me?

The prices i have seen so far are ranging from £17,000 to £70,000 i was expecting around £10,000, this has the potential to stop my plans before they have even started!!

Dose anyone know if i can get the power company to run the power to the edge of the Field then i will run it up to the property and outbuildings?

Rob

We bought 5 1/2 acres last August. We ran electricity from pole to electric box approx  20 feet price  £950 then i dug a 150m trench  and we laid electric  cable up to our existing stables and barn. We opted for a slightly bigger  cable  capable of running a house as well in case we can get planning on it in the future. Took 3 days to dig trench with  a mini digger at £50 a day we are on chalk and have a Lot of flint.
Whole venture cost approx 9k  inc electricians fees most expenditure was cost of cable, hope this helps water was already on site.
Used UK power networks, who could not have been more helpfull.
Hope this helps

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS