Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with dead lambs body?  (Read 9796 times)

paulrollings

• Joined Jan 2012
  • West Hanney, Oxfordshire
What to do with dead lambs body?
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:44:55 am »
Hello,
My first ewe (twins) presented yesterday in hung position, we were able to deliver lambs OK, however the second lamb had breathing problems and was also being rejected by mother.  I think because I was trying to get mum to bond with it, as well as its lung problem, it died, might have been pneumonia.  (I've been kicking myself, ever since as I might have been able to save him).

What should I do with the dead lambs body?  Any pointers, advice, greatly welcomed.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: What to do with dead lambs body?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:52:47 am »
You are supposed to get it picked up by the fallen stock people or take it to the hunt. Or see if a friendly local farmer will have it collected with his fallen stock.  However, I'm sure an awful lot of dead lambs get buried in corners of fields ......but of course I haven't advised you to do that  ;)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:28:31 am »
Someone once told me you could hide one in a dog, not that I'd dream of doing that. Have you tagged it already?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 10:27:52 am »
Or take it to a local knacker yard, cheaper than having them collect.

paulrollings

• Joined Jan 2012
  • West Hanney, Oxfordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 10:53:04 am »
Thanks everyone for the advice. 

Not tagged, died at +30mins after being born.

Sharnoak

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Blampied, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 11:00:13 am »
Most conscientious people around here would bury-however there are those that just leave them for the foxes. One of my neighbour's cattle died in the paddock last spring, possibly from grass tetany or could have been snake bite;we managed to inform him of the death (after a fair bit of running around), and he just towed it out of sight behind a stand of gorse, and let it rot. For weeks we could smell rotting cow if the wind blew in a certain direction, and there wasn't a damn thing we could do about it. I called all the relevant authorities, but apparently there is no  legislation about disposal of bodies in rural areas, only urban  >:(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 11:24:28 am »
Most conscientious people around here would bury-however there are those that just leave them for the foxes. One of my neighbour's cattle died in the paddock last spring, possibly from grass tetany or could have been snake bite;we managed to inform him of the death (after a fair bit of running around), and he just towed it out of sight behind a stand of gorse, and let it rot. For weeks we could smell rotting cow if the wind blew in a certain direction, and there wasn't a damn thing we could do about it. I called all the relevant authorities, but apparently there is no  legislation about disposal of bodies in rural areas, only urban  >:(
Can't do that in the UK.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 01:48:06 pm »
our knackerman charges about £14 for littlies. usually come the same day.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 01:51:54 pm »
Can't do that in the UK.

Well - in my experience it certainly happens...... it seems that every livestock farmer round here as a quiet little area where carcasses just get dumped (with their ears cut off). We came across our neighbour's last year after the dogs got interested.

We mentioned it to a few people including the local knacker man without officially reporting it and we got the impression that this was par for the course and not to rock the boat.

We were in a bit of a dilemma really because we didn't want to be seen as nosey "incomers" (we live in a strong Welsh Nationalist area and didn't want to "come home to a real fire") but at the same time it's against the law. We just let it be known that we were aware of the situation. The rumour mill will have got the message back to the perpetrator.

I am now going to change my location on my profile to the middle of the north sea  ;D ;D ;D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bangbang

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 01:58:19 pm »
Oh dear I wouldnt move there :o dont you know theres a gas leak....could be dangerous... ;)
Burial at sea though...might have its merits..

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 02:44:48 pm »
We had one lamb pts by the vet. - so it was recorded elsewhere.  We took it to the fallen stock yard, they charged us 50p. and then the paperwork was legit.  However if it is not recorded anywhere...

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 02:46:35 pm »
Fortunately our local knacker man is also our next door neighbour so we have just wheeled any deadstock to his place in a wheelbarrow and saved on the pickup costs.

He normally has a trailer just about to go to the kennels.....
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 03:34:50 pm »
Give it to someone to chuck into their new septic tank. Its just what you need to start the enzymes working.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 05:35:25 pm »
If it aint tagged and its newborn, my local hunt will take it gratis.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS