Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Building a Wooden Barn  (Read 24443 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Building a Wooden Barn
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 09:24:01 am »
Hi Henchard.  This is the first time I have looked at this thread and I am certainly interested in following your construction blog.  We have started a similar project, using a dozen hefty telegraph poles sunk deep into concrete dollies.  Our ground is rock to within inches of the surface, so digging out the holes was a labour of - if not love then madness  ;D.  Our progress is slow because of health and weather interruptions, but we have done all the uprights and 5 of the 11 giant roof trusses.  I will be interested to see how your roof and cladding goes.
I am glad though that I haven't posted about our project before in view of some of the negative comments you have drawn.  Keep up the blog and the work.  :thumbsup:
What are the intended dimensions of your barn?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:25:49 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 11:42:47 am »
If you fancy a holliday from your barn building you could come over to me in Germany and help re-do mine!!!!!!!

Its a very old timber framed barn. The posts just sit on granite blocks...or on a low granite wall. A new bit was added in the communist era and the main frame was just hacked into to accomodate it. The roof of the 'T shaped' extension has fallen in exposing a huge hole in the roof on the prevailing weather side. It looks really bad and about to fall in BUT has stood there through its second winter slowly decaying loosing the odd tile and one end sagging a bit more.

Going by another bit that we pulled dow that had a shallow bittumen roof (with huge hole) It will take alot of dissmantling....but then again I might just go out one morning and find it in a heap! (doubt it though)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 10:37:26 am »
Wow that is quite a project - the footings are pretty serious. It made me examine our wood store/hangar.

I use the hangar to split and store a serious amount of wood and we keep gardening tools, an old cart, a wood burning cooker ( to heat water to scald dead birds), and a big 4x4 car under it.

Sorry but I can not find my camera  - but will post a photo when I do.

- it measures 12 meters by 9 meters and there are 3 rows of 3 vertical poles that amazingly just stand on 2 - 3 feet high concrete cones. these poles are in rows 7 and 5 meters apart with the middle row supporting timbers that must be over 8 meters high. These 3 centre poles are fixed onto the concrete feet with metal braces but the other 6 just stand on the concrete cones rather than set in. The timbers are all pinned together with wooden pegs and the roof and just 2 sides are clad in corrugated sheets. These sheets extend down to about 3 feet from the floor so wind can blow thru and dry the wood. We may make an outside kitchen on the open side of the hangar that borders the garden.

I must confess that until I read your blog and saw the footings I had never examined ours. I am amazed that our poles are not set in concrete but I guess that the interlocking structure between the 9 poles is sufficient to give rigidity.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 08:36:06 pm »
You probably only get a structural problem MAK when you try to make them fully enclosed. Wind loading then magnifies considerably. Most of the barns I've seen in France are simple timbers onto concrete plinths or onto big stone boulders. Much better than having timber in contact with the ground.

I like 'over-engineered' and also 'very simple construction'.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:12:36 pm »
Hi Henchard and all.

Found a photo of the hangar that I described above ( minus the car that slotted between the wood.
Hope you cn see the 7 meter or so span and how the posts stand on concrete cones. The smaller span is to the left and is not so tall.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 01:27:49 pm »
not to bad (and that is praise coming from me)    have you anchored the columns to the footings     did you concider hiring a vibrating poker to eliminate the honeycombing and make the column more resilient to decay
was there much difference in the cost of wood over shuttering ply    your shutters will have to be scraped of the previous concrete and re oiled an other alternative is lining the shutter with polythene this gives a glass like Finnish to the concrete even with a stick poker
i have always had an interest in buildings and how they were constructed  the secondary school i attended was a new build concrete one that you could see the marks of the shutters viable    in later life i worked with Balfour beattie  on a project that had cast concrete columns using steel shutters to make the Finnish that it just required painting     did you concider putting a chamfer on the top of the column very easy to do and takes the sharp edge away :farmer:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 03:08:48 pm »
Such a smart job and lots of thought - were you a builder John?
Will keep watching your progress then invite you over to convert a barn I have into a chalet for family - I need a raised terrace to make that will have access from the barn, raised 6 feet or so and give views across the fields. Need footings !
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 11:35:22 pm »
After quite a delay (actually best part of a year) with other projects going on we have now moved on to start constructing the frame of our barn.

More photos and details here.

http://lizburton.co.uk/wordpress/everyday-stuff/building-a-pole-barn-part-3/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:17:51 pm by henchard »

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 02:35:24 pm »

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 03:31:29 pm »
awesome

do you have some rough figures for what it will have cost you for all the materials etc.

i think it would be useful info for others to be aware of for planning bigger projects...

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 10:09:05 pm »

do you have some rough figures for what it will have cost you for all the materials etc.

i think it would be useful info for others to be aware of for planning bigger projects...

Around £1500 to £2000 for a 12m x 5m barn (which isn't a lot more than some flimsy garden sheds in B&Q); I don't know exactly because I don't know how much the external wood cladding is going to cost.

I suspect that this figure could be reduced by a third to a half if you carefully sourced second hand materials such as used roofing sheets. It would have cost very little more to make it higher but for the reasons stated I'm trying to keep it hidden in the landscape.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 10:34:31 pm »
thank you

having numbers for these things is always useful!!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 10:56:26 am »
Just a quick thought Henchard, we clad our woodstore with wooden sarking, which then dried out and shrank quite considerably over the next 8 months or so. For example, where we had butted up the planks next to each other, there is now a 3mm ish gap between them. Now that's actually a good thing in our case, but perhaps not in yours?  Worth bearing in mind at least.....
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 11:48:03 am »
Just a quick thought Henchard, we clad our woodstore with wooden sarking, which then dried out and shrank quite considerably over the next 8 months or so. For example, where we had butted up the planks next to each other, there is now a 3mm ish gap between them. Now that's actually a good thing in our case, but perhaps not in yours?  Worth bearing in mind at least.....

I'm cladding it with vertical boards with 20mm gaps between (like you see on many agricultural sheds) to allow air circulation.

Just been up to see my man at the sawmill who is cutting them for more (I ordered them a month or 6 weeks ago). The conversation went:

Me: 'Any sign of my timber yet?'
Him: 'It's still in the wood, bach'

Such is the pace of life here in rural Wales.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS