Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb gone floppy at 2.5 weeks old  (Read 10334 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Lamb gone floppy at 2.5 weeks old
« on: April 06, 2012, 01:10:56 pm »
As it says, I've got a lamb which was thriving along with another 4 who has gone floppy, I found it in the field yesterday flopped on its side, picked it up and it stood for a while, then flopped down again. Gave it a shot of anti biotic and found 2 ticks on its belly which I took off. Actually that was the other way round, found the ticks then the anti biotic as I don't do injections as a first call.
Still much the same today it's not as floppy but not right, on the BBC this morning it said there was a flush of ticks and it could result in lambs being paralysed. Has anyone any suggestions on how to treat? It's walk gives the impression of being weak not stiff jointed and when it was standing today it was standing legs back and dropping its back as in a stretching action.  :-\ :sheep:
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Lamb gone floppy at 2.5 weeks old
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:13:47 pm »
It sounds like the version of swayback which is to do with copper deficiency in ewes when in lamb.
You can get a copper injection from the vet but you need them to confirm this is the problem, since copper can also be toxic to sheep in too great a quantity.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 11:19:09 pm »
My understanding was that you can't treat swayback in a lamb, you have to give copper as a supplement to the ewes mid-pregnancy to avoid getting swayback in the lambs.  I would be very happy to be corrected, if there is a treatment for affected lambs.

There are some ailments which cause stiffness, lethargy, etc, in young lambs, some of which seem to respond to antibiotics, some of which may have been transmitted by ticks.  If you have ticks about and your vet says you have the tick-borne sheep diseases in your area, then an anti-tick treatment may be indicated to protect the others in your flock - but check the withdrawal period, especially if treating older lambs who are within a couple of months of finished.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:56:57 am »
Almost everything I read Sally talked about the importance of prevention, but there was one article talking about a copper injection for the actual lamb - so I thought it was worth Moleskins asking his vet about that.

I am on copper deficient land here and we have to give the sheep Coppavit every month when they are on grass.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 12:32:21 pm »
Try looking at TICK PYAEMIA or TICK BORNE FEVER or SPINAL ABCESS :-\

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 12:51:17 pm »
You are going to think I am mad  but this is something that happens in goat kids as well.... called Floppy Kid Syndrome.

Assuming it is the same.... it is caused by acid in the gut having got out of balance.

Give the lamb some GAVISCON.... yes that is right !!!!!      About 4 - 6mm  depending on weight.........might have to give a second dose.   It can't hurt the lamb..... I have never failed to rescue the odd kid who has had this problem.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 01:13:55 pm »
I'm going to pop it into the vet in about an hours time, but I like the sound of the gaviscon idea. To watch him stretch with back legs out does make me think its'  got stomach ache.
Thanks all for your input, I'll let you know how we go one.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 06:45:37 pm »
Vet says it  didn't get enough colostrum - which I seriously doubt is the case, I'm sure it did - and that it has an intestinal problem. He doesn't hold out much hope but given an anti biotic tablet. Suggests a PM in the event that it dies, but I don't expect I will want to pay for that.
Re the Floppy Kid Syndrome idea he said, no that's just goats not sheep, for my part I'm going to try the Gaviscon as I  figure there's nothing to lose.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 07:13:36 pm »
Fingers crossed  :-*

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 12:59:45 pm »
Poor little thing finally gave up this morning and died, considering sheep have the reputation to only want to die this one did a sterling job of hanging onto life.
I've now got the problem of trying to mother one of my triplets of about 8 days old onto the ewe.
Hey ho!

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 01:52:08 pm »
What a shame after all that you did. So sad when they try really hard to survive too.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 01:52:25 pm »
sheep have the same configuration in the guts as goats !...... acid levels can rise just the same...... Gaviscon is always worth a shot, it can't hurt but could make all the difference.

Birth to 3 weeks is always a difficult time.... if you have any doubts whatsoever, give Gaviscon.   Don't forget Vets often make a commercial decision rather than a pet decision with regard to sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS