Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: are any of our other ewes going to lamb ever?  (Read 6429 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
are any of our other ewes going to lamb ever?
« on: April 06, 2012, 12:42:29 pm »
Arggh! Our first two ewes lambed 2 weeks ago and their lambs are doing well (apart from escaping all the time). We have then had a long gap with none of the others showing signs. We have 9 more ewes. What is the chance that our ram only was successful with 2 ewes. They were all well fed and happy and he seemed busy enough during tupping but I am confused as to whether we should carry on our regular checks for. Help!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: are any of our other ewes going to lamb ever?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:13:32 pm »
Are they looking pregnant? What do their teats look like....

Another good way to get them to lamb is to say in a loud voice "Oh I can't stand waiting any more - I'm going to go and make lunch"!!!!

This has just worked with us  ;D ;D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:16:51 pm »
Or maybe in your case - substitute "lunch" for "round the world cruise"

That'll get them wanting to put the kybosh on your plans by having a few lambs......  ;D ;D

DH says that the magic words are actually "Can you just go to the workshop and get some cheese out of the fridge"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:32:59 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:06:42 pm »
I'm wondering the same! In my case it was certainly that, the tup having lived yon side of the stock fence for the weeks before tupping, a lot of the sheep had started to cycle synchronously. So when I put him in, he tupped one, then there was a two week gap and then he tupped all the rest within four days. So I should be up to my ears in lambs by the end of next week........

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:10:37 pm »
I think it unlikely that none of the others are pregnant, but I would have thought that even if your ewes didn't take at the first mating, you should still see some sign of bagging up with the others?  My 8 ewes were in with my ram at the same time and they all show various stages of udder sizes, but I'm expecting them to lamb over April (April 1st was the estimated earliest date).  Their udders range from the size of a small cow to barely there, but there nonetheless!

Are they looking 'full' in the teat area, even slightly?
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:14:41 pm »
Do they look like they're in lamb? Mine are, very obviously and the one that is geld is much slimmer?

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 05:22:58 pm »
As jaykay says, if they are pregnant, they should look it by now!  :)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 09:31:03 am »
I know what you mean about the waiting. I have a block of 50 in lamb, scanned and due about the 4th. None have lambed yet. I guess they haven't read the book....

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 11:20:37 am »
Thanks for your advice. I'll check them at feed time later

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 12:09:57 pm »
First time lamber here with a small flock of soay.

Being very inexperienced I couldnt tell for definite that mine were in lamb until about 3 weeks ago. Not sure if you have lambed before so forgive me if I am teaching you to suck eggs! I thought that some of mine didnt have udder development but if you get on your hands and knees when they are at the trough you should be able to see some sign of the udder filling or a loose wobbly bit between the back legs or take a look when they lie down on their sides.

Mine were due any time from a week and a half ago and are huge. You couldnt really miss it.

How long did you leave the ram in for? If it wasnt for long, could some of them have been missed?

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 12:27:49 pm »
We actually left him in with them for a few months as we didn't realise he should be taken out. It is our first year with lambing so any advice is very welcome. Our first lamb was early according to our calculations. So maybe he caught that ewe early and my calculations are right. They all look fat and look like the other two ewes did before they lambed but we are all knackered with the waiting. Next year we will be sure to get our timings a bit better.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 02:29:50 pm »
Ahhh  ..... there you go ...... just need to be patient.  ;D

I know how you feel. Got up at 5 am again today feeling sure someone would be getting on with the job, but no, they just looked at me as though to say ... not you again!

They will either lamb soon or pop.

Will mark the ram next time so that I have a bit more of a guide as to when they should arrive but my sheepy mentor said you always expect lambing to last over at least a 3 week period (longer if they miss first time around).

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 02:40:39 pm »
We only have 12 ewes - the six first timers have all given birth (the last one went late last night).  Now we have a two or three week gap before the old girls are due.  Just as life returns to somewhat like normal, we'll have to start all over again!  I'm not sure if it's better that they all arrive at the same time, or stretch it out.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 04:35:33 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance. So it looks like we have a couple more weeks till I need to lose patience. I'll try to check them all this evening to get a better idea of how close they might be.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 05:44:37 pm »
It is worth putting raddle on the tup and then recording when he gets whom, if you've only got a few. I write it on the calendar and then transfer it 148 (or 146 for my Shetlands) days on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS