Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: concern about new duckling  (Read 2802 times)

compost

• Joined Jan 2008
concern about new duckling
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:55:16 pm »
i have just hatched some ducklings in an incubator and they are now under a heater lamp in shed. i lost one on day three which i assumed was just how things go. it never looked quite right. but now another has the same slightly shut eyes, panting abit more heavily and more reluctant to move about. has anyone got any ideas? i would like to get them outside in the light, air and fresh grass but it is still abit early days regarding the heater lamp.
what sort of temp do they actually need? i am trying to wean them off the lamp - putting it on 'low' once the day has warmed up. they are now 2 weeks old and i am wondering if, with sunny days and windbreak around the run, then they could go outside without the lamp.

does the lamp dry their eyes? sounds a bit silly but thats what it looks like. i've given them a deeper pot of water so they can immerse their heads.

any advise would be gratefully recieved.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: concern about new duckling
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:18:25 am »
I must admit I've only raised a few and under hens so I've never used a heat lamp.  I have used them for pups though and you do have to watch that it isn't too warm for them.  Are they in a barn or inside your home?  Is their enclosure draft proof?  Do they have loads of straw to snuggle down into?  I think these things are maybe more important than the heat lamp, provided you don't have a sudden frost.  Can you turn the heat down or raise the height?
I might be totally wrong though.  Sorry if that's the case.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: concern about new duckling
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:22:17 am »
I think if you are starting to see them decline you should get the vets help/advice. My 12 are almost a week old and I have to say I have never lost any out of all the eggs I have hatched. The heat lamp should not be causing them any harm, is it a proper bought heat lamp or home made? I have my youngsters outside on these nice days for several hours where they can enjoy and get used to the fresh out doors life and they always seem warm when I touch them. I leave the heat lamp on 24/7 just now but will be reducing that next week as I doubt they need as much.

Do you have sawdust or shavings on the floor perhaps? Good luck, I hope you get to the bottom of things.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS