Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Afterbirth issues..  (Read 5558 times)

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
Afterbirth issues..
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:17:17 am »
Hello,

Apoloiges the long absence. Life just seemed to get in the way for a while.

So my issue is this:

We have now started kidding and one of the new goats (ie I have never kidded her before but this is her second time around) kidded yesterday afternoon around 3-4, two gorgeous chunky girls Boer x Toggi (photos to follow)  she was very tidy eating any of the mess, she drank water ate hay tended to the little ones and we decided to elave her to it as she was doing so well.

This morning she has again eaten hay, breakfast plus her goat supplement and drank water. Kids are doing great and she seems fine in herself but she still has afterbrith hanging out/still to pass.

My other girls (ones that i am more familier with) generally pass it quite quickly.

Can anyone remind me what the 'normal' perameters are for afterbirth?

And if you use an electrolyte added to the water for the mum afterwards which do you use?

Thanks everyone.  :wave:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Afterbirth issues..
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:36:28 pm »
I'm afraid I can't really help on this, though it does seem a long time for it not to have passed.
But I hope you don't mind if I can ask another Q under the same heading, one of my girls kidded twins Tuesday afternoon, when I went back to clean up, there only seemed one afterbirth, I know they sometimes eat it, so I presumed/hoped that's what had happened, would she be showing any ill effects by now if she hadn't cleaned? she's eating, drinking,caring for kids OK

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:03:09 pm »
It all depends if they were sharing one placenta  (identicals ) or two seperates ,

The bag still hanging might have dried at the top and stuck to her vulva, have you tried a little pressure ?

Bangbang

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 06:13:30 pm »
McRennet - I would have thought in your situation she had probably passed and what your seeing is a bit of stringy discharge - the books say they can pass bits for up to 2 weeks be we've experienced longer on and off - obviously just to get me worried. These days I tend to hand around till all is passed and clean way but you have to be quick as their natural instinct it to get rid of any evidence, in fact mine clean up between kids - when I'm just thinking get on with it!!

Penninehillbilly - I've only come across 1 afterbirth to date from twins, singles and triplets and you do have to be quite to remove or mum will remove for you - I would have thought she was fine

Just to remind you both for pics now - Brucklay

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:23:34 pm »
Slightly off topic but our sheep so far have eaten all their afterbirth.

Hiding evidence ..... but also an extremely valuable source of protein for Mum I guess.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:30:42 pm »
it can take a long time...

great to "see" you back :wave:
Little Blue

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 09:03:50 pm »
The update so far is that after a brief chat with Wytsend and a call back from the vet,( who was very lovely actually. I judge vets on how much they will let us do ourselves, luckily for me they were happy for to do everything! ) poor old Bulgy has been given a shot of long acting antibiotics and a shot of Oxytocin.

It looks like she has been a little too keen in her tidying up and has 'snapped' the afterbirth off resulting in the remaining afterbirth staying inside due to a lack of weight to ease it out. Apart from this she has seemed fine and dandy.

After my round trip to the vets to pick up the meds I was so hoping that she might have passed the rest of the afterbirth herself. But alas no, it was still just hanging there   ???

She stood like an absolute love for the injections. Feel rather sorry for her as she has been such a good mum and all she really wants to do is go have some grass with her little ones.

She did manage to pass some more of it but not all so we have left her to it for the evening and if need be we are to go get another sot of Oxytocin in the morning.

I think my goats are hiding a calender in that barn as they always seem to know when it's a bank holiday and throw a spanner in the works!

Fingers crossed for the morning!

:-\

Bangbang

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 09:12:32 pm »
Thank you for the update McRennet - not something I have come across but at least I know it's possible now - hope alls well with Bulgy soon xx Brucklay

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 02:39:24 pm »
It all depends if they were sharing one placenta  (identicals ) or two seperates ,
They aren't identical, and mum still seems bright, if a little talkative, I'm presuming thats for her babies :)
Now other girl (kidded April1st) has 'gunk' there, I worried about that last year, so hopefully it's the same thing this year (normal).

Hope Bulgy is doing OK now

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 08:53:28 pm »
And the news is.............

She passed all the afterbirth in the night and has eaten it all up! Which is good as it meant I didn't have to go to the vets this morning for more Oxytocin. Instead I was met with a goat with a clean (ish, I still had to give her a wash) back end and she was stood up of the hurdle talking to me. God Love her!

The kids are brilliant, they are by far the brightest and most energetic kids I have ever met, her milk must be like Red Bull!

So anyway I just thought you might be interested to hear what can happen and they can survive!

;D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 09:34:42 pm »
Good to hear  :thumbsup:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 09:39:58 pm »
That's great McRennet - and that scenario has been filled away for future reference as it will probably happen here one day
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 10:03:08 pm »
These goats never cease to amaze me! In fact I am just about to post another thread regarding a scouring mum who is yet to kid.

As always any advice is much appreciated! xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS