Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broken Chain saw - 4 days old!  (Read 10696 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Broken Chain saw - 4 days old!
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:24:42 pm »
I took an Oregan 14" 32 cc chainsaw back to a large chain of DIY stores (in France). I think that the retaining bracket on the flywheel that holds the rip cord was not screwed on - fell off and mashed up the metal fly wheel - sheared a wire that would not let me turn the machine off as usual ( I choked it). DANGEROUS
Anyway 
They insisted I left the front of the shop and talk to the Service Dept out back.
The chap asked how much I paid for it and what did I expect buying the cheapest chain saw to be used ??! What !
He insisted that I was using it too much to fell trees and that "yes - it was a problem for the large chain saw if he did his job and just gave me a replacement saw".
Realising I could not win or calm him down with my praying motions I asked for his help and advice.

It worked - we shook hands - he will replace the broken fly wheel, provide a new guarantee  and he will help me choose a good saw if I ever decide to buy a forrest and cut it down.

Maybe check all screws under the fly wheel cover to ensure bits of metal don't fly around.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: Broken Chain saw - 4 days old!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:35:05 am »
Sorry I don't know much about chain saws. Other half is just starting to give me a few lessons on how to use it and maintain it ( after 5+ years of asking!). He is however always on this web sit arbtalk.co.uk/forum/ They may be able to help you. Good luck with it :thumbsup:

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 11:44:30 am »
do they not have the sale of goods act in France
a lot of these chainsaws are Chinese copy's of proper saws  but they are getting better
i clicked on Bert's forum  very interesting especially the old chainsaws   i have a mcculloch saw from the 70s 100cc and a 30 inch bar and still works :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 02:36:07 pm »
A friend of mine bought a cheapo chinese copy from Ebay recently - £80 including two bars / chains, case, etc.  It's 59cc, and pretty light.

What I will say though, is that it seems to run at a much lower chain speed than my Husqvarna, and though mine is only 46cc, I'd say mine has quite a bit more power too. Oh, and a few bits have fallen off his already, which is a bit scary!  So, whilst I paid a fortune in comparison to get the real deal, I'm very happy that it was money well spent.

That said, Oregon are a well known maker of quality chainsaw kit. Was it actually an Oregon saw though, or just one of their bars on a cheaper saw? (come to think of it, do Oregon even sell saws?  I'm not sure I've ever seen one!?).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 02:45:07 pm »
as far as i know oregon do chains and bars...

i have a cheap chinese saw and its does all my grubby trimming and light felling work where i'm likely to trash kit, i have had no problems with it apart from a tendency to trash the chain easily as it needs a better lock nut to hold the bar in place, the engine is fine though.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 07:02:51 pm »
Sale of good act - you must be joking ! We took a strimmer back because I could not unlock the cord spool - "but you have used it" "it's not our problem" - on that occasion the OH had to put me in the car as I was all for waiting for the bloke in the carpark. As the godfather said " I am not a violent man BUT...."

The chain saw was sold as an Oregan and the chap did say that the arm and chain are very high quality but the motor not up to it. Maybe the motor is a Chinese copy.
lesson learnt - not to be so mean and go for the quality ones mentioned above - they will last.

the other half has had terrible trouble with her new Axminster Fretsaw - it seems Axminster buy everything in from China now and their staff seem fully aware of the problems and mechanical failures. It is difficult to identify or establish where some "familiar" brands are actually made.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Simple Simon

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 11:48:43 pm »
Got a 20" Stihl 045 I bought in the 70's. Tough as nails.

Saws can kill or maim. With the chain moving at upto 20m/s why risk a chinese ripoff death trap?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 08:16:55 am »
'Tis true. The interweb is full of stories of cheap chinese copies having poor adjustment, bits breaking off, chain catchers that don't work (a key piece of safety gear that 'catches' the chain if it snaps), etc etc.  That said MAK, if you bought it from a proper shop, it probably just means yours is cheap, not unsafe. Hopefully you just got a dud, the last time and the new one will serve you well.

Have you got all the safety gear to go with?

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 10:15:43 am »
safety gear   if when a tree falls on you the only advantage that safety gear is going to be is locating you by the bright colour
i have had chains break on 30 inch bars  that is almost 6 ft of chain an it is the pulling side that breaks so throws the chain to the point of the bar
you have to be very aware that chainsaws are dangerous and not have people fudding about when you are working with them and keep your eye on the saw at all times never ever  saw above chest height
safety equipment is a mater of choice  i think it impares vision and movement both of which is essential when working with saws
if you click on the site that Bert has highlighted go to vintage saws there are videos of Forrester's working with no safety gear and using saws with no chain brake
and i have two vintage saws both McCullouch one is 100cc and was originally fitted with a 30 inch bar now fitted with a more realistic 24 inch bar still works no chain brake never had one in there day they were referred to as dollar a day saws  well i have had my moneys worth out of that saw
incidental with the Chinese saws most of the reputable service centres wont touch them :farmer:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 12:00:14 pm »
thats the problem with a lot of the diy 2 stroke kit

all of ryobi stuff and homelite (all made by the same people) you try getting them repaired when they don't want to work!!!

i have 2 ryobi strimmers that were used heavily then died and i can't get them repaired so when i find i need one again i'll spend the money and buy honda or stihl so i can get the thing repaired in the future!!!

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 12:44:42 pm »
homelite used to be a good make as was McCullouch :farmer:
if you are wanting to use anything in a professional or semi professional environment it has to be a quality name  :farmer:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 12:54:14 pm »
I checked that the Oregan is not Chinese but just cheap ( 89 Euros). It has a chain catcher and compared well to the more expensive brands above. I'm not cutting down trees but am working on a few fallen bits and branches - so it is a bit safer. The ground is very irregular and I am carefull to adopt a good position and foothold before I start. I too feel safety bits impair agility and could hinder movement.
I was told the bar and chain are very good quality but now you have me thinking of "What if the chain breaks". Robert - are you saying that it should fly off forward or get caught up on the "chain catcher" underneath on its return towards the user.
I heard of an anesthetist who lifted his chain saw up and caught his son's neck. He could not save him. I think of that every time I use it and I am afraid that their tragedy has made me very carefull - especially as I am all alone here ( I take a mobile just in case).
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 01:36:55 pm »
if it is proper Oregon chain that is the best       my chain was a bigger pitch for a bigger saw and it had been used cutting silage in a pit   to give a clean face    even with the oil-er turned up the chain still wore down and broke at the rivets (weekest point)
to get the best from a saw it has to be in tip top condition chain a snug fit on the bar when the the chain is hanging like tits out a bra  that is when the chain flys off still driven by the sprocket and can take you hand or leg of
it is good that you are constantly aware of the dangers it is when you  get complacent or distracted that accidents happen
the top handle saws are only meant for licenced tree fellers as they are worked with just one hand yet they are for sale secondhand on e blag for anybody to buy that is just mental
when you think of the two man crosscut chain saws with just a little guard on the tip of the bar for safety the guy on the pointy end must    have been shitting himself
with the safety equipment and safety additions to the saws they were brought in because more idiots were buying power saws  and just not thinking
there is videos on u tube of v8 powered saws doing speed cutting :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 12:33:49 am »
safety gear   if when a tree falls on you the only advantage that safety gear is going to be is locating you by the bright colour

Sorry mate, I disagree, even if you were being tongue-in-cheek!

http://youtu.be/KJk8abLqE84

But yes, obviously if you drop a tree on yourself, you're still going to get badly squished!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:36:02 am by Womble »

Simple Simon

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 01:24:27 am »
Working on fallen bits and branches is more dangerous than felling.  You're far more likely to be tempted to use the tip of the saw or accidentally touch the ground  When taking branches off a fallen tree look for those in tension and keep the trunk between you and the saw if poss. 

I've been using saws for 35 years and I wear safety gear because of the scar I have from 33 years ago when I got tired and careless. Chains make a messy injury that doesnt heal well.  And even if the chain brake works a helmet and visor stops the saw kicking into your face.

I've never had a chain break or seen one. Then again I never sawed silage or roots.  A chain is perfect and sweet cutting or garbage, nowhere in between.   Nice big chips of wood is good, sawdust is the chain waiting to kill you.

Robert's saw used chain with big fast cutters they don't sell to Jo public any more.  Anti kickback chain has a riser in between the links to make it safer, but slower.  That and chain brakes make the new saws safer but if you have a slack chain it will came off and if you hit a big enough lump of metal the chain will explode sending bits along the line of the bar.  That's why you hold it slightly offset.  Chain catchers and wrap-round handles limit the scope but stupidity always finds new ways of hurting.

Respect the tool, learn about it and be safe.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS