Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 lovely Kune Kune boars (5 months) looking for new homes  (Read 3946 times)

carnehan

• Joined Mar 2012
2 lovely Kune Kune boars (5 months) looking for new homes
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:55:30 pm »
Would anyone be looking for two pet piglets (or for breeding)? Not looking for meat chain homes.
If there are any smallholders or farmers in the new Devon/Cornwall ex22 area - drop me a line.
Kind Regards

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: 2 lovely Kune Kune boars (5 months) looking for new homes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 08:43:07 am »
Unfortunately,carnehan, there are a lot of Kunes free to good homes, not for sausages and no takers :( I shouldn't think you would have any luck with boars.
Other pig keepers may agree with me when I say, dear old things that they are, the kindest way for them if no-one wants one for breeding is the way of most pigs :(

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:32:39 am »
i am afraid you are living a dream    first if they were intended as pets by yourself they should have been castrated also if they were bought as pets they will not be good enough to make it for breeding
second a pig is a meat animal use them for the purpose intended once they pass out your hands there destiny is not guaranteed
also why are you disposing of them presuming you have had them for the last three months  :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 07:46:40 pm »
ive come across this before i got 3 x 5 month old which were free to good homes... ime giving them a good home for the last 5 months free range, bushes to sleep under during the day, mud to wallow in, plenty of food, room to run around, they will have a good free range home for another 6 weeks then they will come to my house  ;) ;) i will take any freebies in my area. norfolk suffolk.... when i first saw these pigs i thought who the hell would want these as pets when full grown, they cant sit on your lap while watching telly, not me but some do  ???

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 08:12:06 am »
Carnehan  :wave:

Firstly, can I apologise on behalf of all us responsible KK breeders that you have been faced with this dilema.  You should NEVER have been sold/given any uncastrated boars as pets.  Though KKs are adorable pigs, they do mature sexually VERY young - about the age of your 2.

I suggest you go back to their breeder - who should help you with re-homing.  They could be castrated at this age, but it will be costly - talk to your vet, as some may not do the op at this age.  Alternatively, you could contact Wendy Scudamore of the BKKPS who organises the rescue side of things in England.

Unfortunately, as the other posts have already said, they may end-up as sausages in any case.  I do really feel for you, this is such an awful situation for you & you obviously care for them - maybe you could consider having them PTS yourself having given them a short, but lovely life?

Heartfelt wishes  :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

carnehan

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 11:24:31 am »

Robert Waddell - I was advertising for good homes for piglets, not as a platform for your ego, please keep your comments such as "living in a dream" and opinions to yourself unless you have anything useful or interesting to add. I am aware that pigs are used for meat.... but thanks for pointing that out (really useful).

Sylvia, Harry and Beewyched - many thanks for your honest and heartfelt replies, completely agree - the market is saturated with KKs. I have not purchased these pigs, they are the last of a litter we had here, and due to personal circumstances, they have been offered free to good homes. Thanks again, and as you say they wil probably go to market, but in the spirit of the site, wanted to give others a free chance of some KKs!
C.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 11:40:03 am »
touched a nerve there i think :farmer:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 11:50:16 am »
carnehan,
If you do not want honest advice on this forum, well maybe it is not the forum for you, remember everyone is entitled to their opinions and everyones opinions is different, you are a newbie and a helluva lot to learn, so don't think you know it all because you don't I dare say we will have words from time to time, always better to take everyones opinions on board and a newbie publicly belittling any senior members on this forum is a no no

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 08:39:47 pm »
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 08:51:16 pm »
Not interested in a fight Harry, can't stand people that ask for advice on this forum, then spit out the dummy when they don't like what they read, why ask in the first place  ???

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:37:10 am »
Carnehan was not asking for any advice, just a home  for his piglets, which probably unfortunately for them, are boars.

I am actually wanting a Kune Kune boar - not to eat.  But Devon is a bit too far off.  There again, have never been there and always wanted to .....

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:47 am »
Come and stay for a weekend, and take a Kune back with you! :wave:
Carnehan, if you can't bring yourself to do the deed, I will have them. BUT they will eventually go for meat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS