Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mangalitsas  (Read 15916 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Mangalitsas
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:24:06 pm »
Been surfing the web and found various references to Mangalitsa pigs.  I know a couple of people on here are starting to breed them, and they are fascinating.  I was a bit astounded by the high prices on the UK sites.  Apparently they are the rarest known registered pigs in the world.  To my eye they look more like dogs than pigs.  One lady apparently has hers trained to come when called, they go for walks with her, in groups of 2 or 3, and are so well trained that as soon as the walk is finished they return to their pens.  Has anyone else come across them?

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
Re: Mangalitsas
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:55:13 pm »
Hi HM,

Carole & pigsatlesrues breed them, I'm having one of Carole's when I get my arc in a couple of weeks.  They would probably be the ones to ask about them  :)
Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:28:00 am »
Thanks, am fascinated by them they are really unusual.  Just a bit shocked by the prices in UK. 

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 01:18:58 pm »
We picked Marley up on Friday he is now settling in very well & loves his food  ;)

He is having a Sunday afternoon snooze at the mo in his new arc, he loves to use it as a scratching post too  :)  Although he's so hardy he doesn't actually need a arc he can live outside all year round.

I'm going to post some pictures of him when I learn how to  ???

He is so friendly & our French neighbours have just been to visit him and called him Boudin (Black Pudding) They couldn't believe how gentle he is & nosey!

Donna

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 05:25:28 pm »
As promised photo's of Marley the Mangalitsa & The Girls  :D

I can't see the pictures on the forum they come up as a box with a cross through, can anyone else see them  ??? :-[ ??? :-[ ??? :-[

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 05:31:22 pm »
I can't ... what you may need to do is look at the code you put on your posting for each picture. You should see [img]........then all sorts of bits and bobs then at the end another set of [img] , now if you have two sets ate the start and at the end , you need to delete the first and last set of [img]........you do that by going into modify ...on your posting ....try it and then hit preview you will then see exactly what you will see in the forum .....send me a pm if that doesn't make sense

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 05:35:49 pm »
OK Will try again soon  :P :-[ :P :-[ :P :-[ :P :-[

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 07:54:37 pm »
Try & Try Again  ;D

Having a snuffle  8)

Ermm, Yes it's all mine  ;D

rustyme

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 08:05:42 pm »
well done Donna,
                     can see the pics ok this time.... Marley looks great!!!!! Looks a dead spit of a dog a neighbour had years ago ...lol 

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 08:11:54 pm »
Thanks Rustyme, i can't wait till he settles in & we get to know his character, Although he's already told the girls he's boss.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 08:26:22 am »
Gorgeous pictures, Marley is the one I wanted except that Hilary would not have allowed him on the holding.  You are so lucky, if I could post my photo now it would be GREEN

Looking forward to loads more news and photos.  HM :D

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 10:48:01 pm »
He is just gorgeous!! Our three - Onslo, Rose and Violet are just as friendly and so lovable. They are the ultimate pig experience I think, nothing quite like them!

Love the name by the way!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 04:47:01 pm »
Thank you, It's marley & The Weaners now  :P

ben10

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 10:46:48 am »
What a handsome looking boy, and so clean too- obviously the weather better with you, any updates on him as I too am thinking of a Mangalitza but as they are so rare I am finding it difficult to investigate the race.
Is he intact or castrated? I ask because you mention his is friendly?

Thanks
Ben

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 07:35:05 pm »
Marley and the Weaners sounds like a pop group.   :) :) :)

Ben 10 I wanted Mangalitsas too have a problem with Hilary in that she wont have them on the holding.  (Bless her).  They are wonderfully friendly animals, (a friend in UK is breeding them) make great pets, and very hardy.  Plus apparently superb meat (never actually tried any myself). 

From the pictures Marley looks superb.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS