Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Outlet for your rare breed fleeces ?  (Read 7044 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Outlet for your rare breed fleeces ?
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:55:38 am »
Found this site that might be useful for getting rid of small quantities of rarebreed wool .

http://www.organicpurewool.co.uk/fleece.html

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Outlet for your rare breed fleeces ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:32:37 am »
I wonder what organic folk do about flies - not Crovect presumably?

Watching my friends who have an organic, soil association inspected farm, it seems like a big deal......?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:45:37 am »
Perhaps they keep organic flies!......... easycare =  don't care.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:15:58 am »
 :D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:38:53 am »
Perhaps they keep organic flies!......... easycare =  don't care.

???    Are you saying organic producers don't care about the welfare of their animals tizaala?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:41:59 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 08:43:06 am »
well i must rank in the don't care category   we never treated or done prevention for flystrike last year
well why would i April was the good dry month last year and it did not dry up to march this year and bluebottles don't fly at these times of year o and the sheep are checked at least twice a day :farmer:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:52:48 am »
Fleecewife, I'm sure he was saying that he didn't care about fly prevention methods, organic or not, since he keeps easy care sheep and so it's not a problem for him  :-*

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 08:59:42 am »
No, I'm just having a dig at an "aquaintance" who's idea of "organic " is to go round picking up dead sheep rather than be there and help them lamb, and to leave his cows ringworm untreated , self shedding fleeces all over his grass etc, as the finacial return doesn't cover the cost of sheering.
So don't take my comments personaly.......

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 09:21:32 am »
Ah, yes I know an 'organic' farm like that too :P Dints your faith rather in what can be presented in a 'holier than thou' way.

Plus the two shearlings I bought at the York sale, which came from an 'organic' place were in very poor condition. So much so my nieghbour and my dad both said they didn't think they'd survive, when they saw what I'd bought. In fact with proper TLC they have come on well, one of them is the mum in my 'first lamb' pic.

Well anyway, I'm sure there are also good organic places and like a lot of us here, good low input places too  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 11:04:22 am »
It's actually an interesting discussion although probably not the right thread to discuss it on.   We are not Organic in the official, inspected by the soil association way, but all our growing is done without harmful chemicals.  Our animals however are a different matter.  Partly there is no financial incentive to fork out masses of money for inspections but I decided early on that if I feel an animal needs a particular medicine then I'm going to give it rather than wait for permission from a 'body' somewhere down in England.   We do use antibiotics if required, although we don't give them prophylactically.  We do use wormers as required, following the recommendations of the Mordun Institute, which is the Scottish livestock research body.  We do use anti-flystrike products (crovect).
I have seen a sheep keeper who thought he was doing the right thing by not using anti-flystrike products and his sheep were crawling with maggots.  We eventually persuaded him that vaseline is not enough, especially when he couldn't catch the animals anyway.  Whether that was because he was 'organic' or not I don't know, but 'Organic' should not be treated as meaning 'don't care' - it is a well-thought out and successful way of growing and raising food for human consumption, if its tenets are followed carefully - or so I believe.....

It would be interesting to have the opinion of someone who does raise their animals in a truly 'Organic' way (I hate the word 'organic' because most things on earth are fairly much organic with a slightly different meaning).  I'm sure there are methods of good husbandry whereby livestock can be raised without any harmful medications or chemically treated feeds, on mixed farms with an holistic approach, and I would like to learn more about how that is done.

I commented tizaala because you made a huge generalisation - which may or may not be true.....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:08:18 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 01:24:44 pm »
Unfortunately the company selling the organic fleeces will not be interested....believe me I know having worked in the wool industry for a long while!
On the subject of organic....under proper organic conditions stuff such as crovect and Clik and wormers ARE allowed...but to treat a problem not just to prevent it...with flystrike its a bit different as you are allowed to use a product IF you suspect the conditions might precur strike happening.

Unfortunately there are those around who equate organic to non intervention and no drugs even when animal is ill....they are certainly not proper organic farmers but idiots!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 08:22:29 am »
Couldn't agree more val, The same " farmer " I was having a pop at once let a ewe die after she drank old engine oil ( as they do ? ) that he left lying around, " cant get a vet out , I'm organic " was the excuse for non treatment.

Why is everyone on here just lateley so ready to defend themselves? is it the weather? or did I hit a nerve ?

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 08:53:22 pm »
Lack of sleep?
I'm the worst for it, I read other peoples post and feel like the replies are aimed at me even though I haven't even joined in the discussion yet!
There was one recently on the rabbit bit about burning hutches or something and I was incensed! It took hubby ages to calm me down and remind me that it wasn't aimed at me ;D
I need a night of unbroken sleep, and I haven't even started lambing/kidding/calving or whatever it is when it's pigs doing it (pigging?) yet!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 12:44:42 am »
 Well, I'm not organic, but I don't use anti fly strike products either. But I do keep my sheep well wormed, so they don't have mucky backends and I keep a close eye on them in flystrike weather. It's actually quite easy to spot and treat those that have maggots while the maggots are still tiny and before they have got to the flesh eating stage.

But I do realise it's not as easy as that with large flocks spread over several acres - so please don't think I'm getting at anyone.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 06:44:57 am »
 "Farrowing " Collickeywoman, Pigs farrow, whether they are organic or not makes no difference they still farrow, Probably include a lot of mud in the deal so they are properly organic.
Whats with the Bunny Boiling ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS