Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transporting Pigs To Slaughter  (Read 2592 times)

cheryl

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Essex
Transporting Pigs To Slaughter
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:11:25 pm »
Hi all, I'm after a bit of advice. I've got a pair of pigs that I'm planning on sending to slaughter in July, but I'm not entirely sure on getting them there. How does everyone who doesn't have a livestock trailer transport their animals? Do you hire, or use an animal transport company (*are* there any who transport pigs??), or beg/borrow from friends? I don't really know anyone round here with livestock, so am a little stumped, and would be grateful for any suggestions/thoughts. Thanks

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Transporting Pigs To Slaughter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 08:36:41 am »
Ask at your abbatoir, some collect. Or stick a wanted ad. up in your local agricultural merchants. Whereabouts are you, maybe someone on here can help. :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:23:12 am »
Before we bought our own trailer we borrowed a neighbouring farmers which we always had to clean & disinfect before we used it and then again before we returned it which was time consuming and sometimes inconvenient, we managed to buy it from him when he upgraded to a new one. Your best bet is to ask around, can the people you bought the piglets from help? You could try a wanted ad in marketplace but PLEASE remember to put in your location and which abbattoir you want a lift to.
mandy  :pig:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:53:22 pm »
Do you belong to a local smallholding association/group? The group might have some common equipment for use, or other members might have equipment they are willing to lend/hire out. Our association has a list of equipment with contact details of the owners.
Good luck  :thumbsup:

cheryl

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Essex
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 07:07:07 pm »
Hi guys, thanks for the replies. The guy I got them from is a bit of a distance away unfortunately. I'm not a member of any smallholder associations, I'll definitely look into it, thanks for the suggestion :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS