Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Late term pregnant ewe with diarrhea and a snotty nose  (Read 6209 times)

paulrollings

• Joined Jan 2012
  • West Hanney, Oxfordshire
Late term pregnant ewe with diarrhea and a snotty nose
« on: April 11, 2012, 09:14:12 am »
Hello everyone.

I have a Southdown late term pregnant ewe (she is a bit of a greedy sheep), she was stalled up for the past two weeks eating mix of hay, ewe nuts and another coarse mix.  Yesterday, I wanted to clear out the stalls and so let her and my four others out onto pasture. 

Then last night, I noticed she was taking shallow breaths and thought that she was about to start labour, but checking an hour or so later there was no sign of water sack, and again nothing this morning, however she does have diarrhea and a snotty nose, could these be connected to the pregnancy or could this be due to I let her out onto the pasture?

The other four ewes are all ok?

As ever any advice greatly appreciated. 

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Re: Late term pregnant ewe with diarrhea and a snotty nose
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:58:09 am »
Can only offer opinion based on my own experience so please be accomodating senior members/more experienced shepherds.
If she's a greedy girl then the runs could be due to gorging on the new pasture.
We've had lots of snotty ewes. In all cases it was early signs of Hypocalcaemia. If her chin starts trembling and she can't get up then could be the same. What's the calcium content in your feed? Early treatment required (Injections) if this is the case. Other possibles are twin lamb disease (what is she expecting?) for which you'll need something like Liquid Life Aid or Multilamb Rapid both of which deliver all the vital stuff she needs swiftly.
If she is down pretty swiftly it will do no harm at all to give her the calcium injections. They recover so quickly if it is Hypocalcaemia. Also with either of the other two solutions it will do no harm. Calciject is so cheap and every expectant shepherd should have some to hand. You'll also need 50ml syringes and 18 gauge 3/4 to 1" needles for the multiple site subcutaneous injections ( 5 x 20ml). Massage each injection site thoroughly to make absorbtion speedy.
Hope this helps and it is as simple a diagnostic.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS